We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An interesting article ....... Hated airports

NJ
Level Contributor
554 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
An interesting article ....... Hated airports

cnngo.com/explorations/life/10-most-hated-ai…

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

Thanx for the posting. Like most such lists it may hit home to many people - but we'll all (1) defend one or two, and (2) nominate one or three more.

I for one would defend LAX. Though international arrivals there are dreary - where are they not when arriving in the USA? What major airport is not crowded at times (and uncomfortable when operations difficulties such as weather situations happen at busy times)? I would certainly place Atlanta and Chicago O'Hare above LAX (although not JFK).

It's too bad that Skytrax has not populated its airport ratings as well as it has done for airlines. Skytrax has no 1-star airports yet, and has only two 2-star (Amman and Moscow Sheremetyevo). CNNgo should do its research - and explain why those aren't mentioned in their writeup.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

I certainly wouldn't defend LAX, nor LHR (though T1 isn't that bad as before now that BA moved out), though I'd add IAD. Of the other airports I've used in recent years I'd have BOM on the list, especially if you have transfer between the domestic and international terminals.

And the less said about Bucharest the better.

Edited: 13 November 2011, 06:17
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,590 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

LAX is horrid. The place needs to be shut down for a week and thoroughly steam-cleaned.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

Just to save on having to read the article, the 10 "most hated airports in the world" are.

1) (most hated) Paris CDG

2) Los Angeles LAX

3) London Heathrow

4) Toncontín International, Honduras

5) Manila Aquino

6) Nairobi Kenyatta

7) New York JFK

8) Kathmandu Tribhuvan

9) Perth

10) São Paulo-Guarulhos

Piacenza, Italy
Level Contributor
652 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

This is so subjective at the end... Personally I consider CDG one of my favorite, for sure it's my fave in Europe. So... :D

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

The first 3 are also one of the busiest in the world, the resource management required just to deal with the people using the airport are enormous.

There are some really crummy ones and they are not on the list.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

Perth?? I don't know how that made the 10 worst... unless you are looking to do a transfer between international and domestic... now, that would be bad.

" international arrivals there are dreary - where are they not when arriving in the USA?"

Houston. It is airy, open, and very efficient if you are doing international to international. You can be through in minutes.

I've never found LAX to be that bad, TBIT or the UA arrivals have always been decent, at least unmemorable, when I've gone through.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,676 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

I do hate JFK quite a bit.

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

I would defend LHR - I went through T5 in the summer (LHR-CPT, JNB-LHR) no big queues on either journey - in fact on the return leg, I was off the plane, through security and had my bag within 15-20 mins! No issues at all, obviously I was lucky!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,622 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An interesting article ....... Hated airports

The main problem at LAX is if you have to go from the International terminal to another one because you are outside and then have to go through security again!

That happens sometimes at JFK too! The "busy" issue makes probs for people like me who hate circling for an hour before you can land too!!