We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

We booked flights to Paris and London with Malaysia Airlines back in March, we are flying next month. It now appears that all the aircraft have changed and there are no longer any seat back screens, at least on the flights from MEL to KUL. I am praying that they are still on the longer haul flights.

Has anyone flown Malaysia since the change. Do they put interesting movies/shows on the shared TV to help pass the time. We are flying to KUL during the day and will have two teens who hate to read. I am worried about how they will occupy themselves ha ha.

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

hi, the aircraft they use now on mel yo kul is a new a330. each sit is fitted with a personal tv. if you look on their website you will find the new a330 with all the other features it has to offer.you may be looking at the old ones.

it looks quite a good aircraft, enjoy your trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

Thanks for replying alpha1960, but I spoke to at least three different people at Malaysia Air yesterday and they all said it was the old a330, with no tvs. This is also what Seatguru states.

I really hope you are right, it will make for a much nicer trip. I am a reader and couldn't care less, but hubby and two kids do. I think my daughter would rather not go that miss out on TV for 24 hours lol.

If anyone has travelled recently on this route and can confirm one way or another I would appreciate it.

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

hi deb, we are going to kl in feb and i am sure it is the new a330. even some write ups about them upgrading their fleet.pretty sure also have seen comments here about the new aircraft.seat guru is way behind at times i think.

on mas website you can view the updated seat layout as that was how we picked our seats.if you google mas new a330 you will see the write ups.

travel safe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

Hello again Alpha1960

When we booked, it was originally a 777-200. I only found out by accident that it had changed when I got an email telling me that my seat selections were no longer valid. When I rang them yesterday to organise new seats, they told me that the planes out of Melbourne were the old a330, with no entertainment so it was important to pick a seat where you could see the shared screens.

I was obviously not very happy, so called there head office to confirm, where I was told the same thing. My husband also called to complain and he too was told definitely old planes out of Melbourne. They apparently do have new ones, but not flying from here.

I really hope they were wrong and when we go they are the new planes, but not very confident. I have emailed customer relations, but in typical Malaysian style have had no response.

We fly out late December, and unfortunately all other airlines are now fully booked, otherwise I would certainly cancel and book with someone else. As some of our accommodation and tours are prepaid, we can't change dates so we are stuck with it.

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

hi again deb, i hope they have given you the wrong information as well. but my understanding is they started using the new planes for mel-kl as of the end of september.at least that is what i read anyway.even though we chose the overnight flight i would still like to have my own ife as i don't sleep well on planes anyway.couldn;t imagine they would swap from the 777 to an old a330 on such a popular route.as i said i have seen recent posts on TA from people who have flown the route recently commenting on the new aircraft.

hopefully one of those people will jump on and put your mind at ease.i might even give them a call myself if not.

all the best-alpha

p.s. GO THE HAWKS

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

Hi Alpha

We are not on the night flight, we are on the 3.00pm flight out of Melbourne to maximise our time in Paris. That is why I am so upset by this, as I told the kids that they need to stay awake to KL watching movies, and then sleep on the KL/Paris stretch of the trip.

Apparently they only have one new plane, so maybe they run it on the night flight (which we are catching on the way home), and not on the day flight. It really doesn't make sense though, as people generally try to sleep overnight while not in the afternoon.

ps. go the Pies - my Dad is died in the wool Hawks though, so long as you don't beat us when it counts I don't mind you at all. We may have beaten you in the prelim but it didn't do us much good when it counted did it?

Deb

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

In fact I 'think' they have 2 of those new ones, one is on the Adelaide route ( flew on it ) and one on the Brisbane route, no idea if they have another new one, for Melbourne they had 777-200 ( 772 ), so, if they are putting an A 330 on Melbourne either that means they have another one delivered, or they pulled one off ADL or BNE, or, you are getting an old one.

The new 330 is ok comfort-wise, although an awful dark red seating, always seems so dark, but service ( zero smiles ) and poor food / drinks ( I used to love Malaysian in years past and were one of my favorites ) but sorry to say that cut-backs on food and service they are no longer on my list.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

I know that in Adl the a330 is the new aircrafts since sept. We found this out at the flight centre travel show recently - they definitely have individual tv's and will b touchscreens (Hmmmm that won't b annoying at all Wen the person behind u is banging away). I am hoping for your sake it is the new a300 which I expect it is

Australia
Level Contributor
476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

Sorry to interrupt :)

Can I ask if this is economy seats ? How did you reserve those on MAS?

ETA Sorry, should have said I have conflicting aircraft on my MAS flights to London & Paris for early next year. The TA's numbers don't tally with Seat Guru.

Edited: 25 November 2011, 12:35
Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia Airlines - MEL to KUL - no more IFE

Ours are economy seats. I looked on Seat Guru for what seats I wanted and then just rang MAS call centre and booked over the phone or you can wait till 48hrs beforehand and book online- however to get the seats you want give them a call long before the 48hrs before :D

The aircraft is a A330-300 (333) if this helps seatguru.com/airlines/Malaysia_Airlines/Mala…

From what I can gather (what they told me at the travel show) MAS has the new aircrafts for Au to KL the A330 and i think they are going A380 KL to Europe either now or soon.