We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct or Via

Nantwich
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Direct or Via

Planning Trip to South Africa 2012 - leaving Mid Feb for about 1 month to Cape Town + Cape point + Garden Route and return.

Flying Quatar is by far the cheapest via Doha, but flying Direct obviously much shorter Flight (and more Expensive).

Any thoughts/Tips from those who have experienced this trip would be most welcome.

Also, thoughts on Car Hire and general travel in SA.

Thanks

Edited: 25 November 2011, 15:03
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,040 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct or Via

I haven't done the trip so I can't comment. Information on rental cars and general travel can best be obtained in the South Africa forums. You will be surrounded by people FROM South Africa. People on this forum are from all over the world. IN fact, they may even have ideas on your direct or via questions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293740-i9186-Sout…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct or Via

Been there and done the Garden Route myself but think you'll get much more information on the South Africa forums.

uk
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct or Via

I've just returned from a similar trip to yourself. I agree with the others, ask the questions about SA on the relevant forum.

I flew via CDG with AF as Manchester is my local airport and I would have had to connect anyway.

When we were booking there were some flights with Emirates via Dubai which were about £200 per person less than the equivalent AF ticket and £400 less than BA, all in EC.

We chose not to travel with Emirates as it added nearly 12 hours hours each way to the journey time. To us, the extra cost of the AF ticket was worth it for the time saving.

Nantwich
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct or Via

Thank you all for your inputs, I have taken the advice offered and now posted on the SA Forums

Reading
Level Contributor
285 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct or Via

We flew with Qatar from Heathrow to the Maldives last year and some people on our flight were connecting to South Africa. Landed well away from the terminal and after descending the steps the airline staff held up signs and grouped everyone who was connecting according to which flight they were on. We were bussed us at breakneck speed round the perimeter road to go through security again, back on a bus, hammer back round the perimeter again and reboard. Our connection was about an hour and I think the SA one was even shorter. We were back on board way within that.

Qatar flights were good but connecting was a bit primitive and frantic compared to connecting at Dubai, which we did this year.

6. Re: Direct or Via

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:41