We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to malta

lancashire
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
going to malta

going to malta for first time chose hotel fortuna in sielema not sure to pay the extra to fly with air malta or budget airlines anyone know which is best

Edited: 02 December 2011, 20:30
ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to malta

Much depends on the price difference. Air Malta is fine, but I wouldn't pick it over any other airline if the price was higher and the flight times were not any better.

I was happy enough when I flew with them though.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to malta

anyone know which is best

---------

For values of best = ????

Nearest to you?

Widest range of times?

Baggage allowance?

Simplicity / no hidden costs?

Lowest cost?

Pre-booked seats?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to malta

Got a choice from Manchester, Thomsons, Thomas Cook, BMI and Easyjet. Its a short flight, just check times and price, they are all about the same.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to malta

I would choose Easyjet, on the following reasoning.

Both Thomson and TC have a history here of reports, where someone carefully chooses, say a noon flight because it gets them to the resort at a good time, and then its arbitrarily changed to (say) a 1am departure ...or whatever. Anyway, that's why I would never fly with either of those companies.

Note that I am NOT saying that neither EJ or BMI will ever change flight times on you, and the further away in time you are booking the higher the odds a company will change schedules, but I think that either of these two will be far less likely to change... and since BMI has just been taken over and its routes are therefore liable to disruption, then EJ is the one I'd choose.

lancashire
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to malta

can get 3 weeks staying at hotel fortuna flying with easyjet for 500 pounds or same flying with air malta 590 pounds but have to pay baggage on easy jet of 31 pounds in jan know weather wont be great but just want change of scenery what do you think please.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to malta

Is that 31 per person or 31 total and is that one way or return?

You could Check the flight stats as well and the seat pitch if you want.

I've been to Malta in The winter, there is plenty to see. The place doesn't shut down in winter and sliema is a great base. If you get chance try Zeris restaurant in portamasso.

I don't think it really matters who you fly with as long as they get you there.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going to malta

If your Q is about Malta, please ask in the Malta forum.

If its, should you fly EJ or AM, I'd personally fly EJ just because I know about them and have used them and were fine, and I know nothing about AM. Try the airline quality website and see what people say.

lancashire
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going to malta

thanks for the reply thats what i thought been with easy jet before was okayjust read that air malta was a better plane but its not that long a flight also the flight times was a better but they could change what month did you go was everywhere open . By the way its 31 pounds each return so not a great deal of differance.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: going to malta

I've been in Dec and Feb and pretty much everything was open around Sliema, st Julian's, Valletta.

I haven't flown easy jet to Malta, but have flown to other places with them. Flew air Malta both times to Malta. It really depends on what is more important to you the 30 quid difference or a better flight time. I couldn't honestly say there was much between them. Accept possibly you have a chance to ask for an exit row seat on air Malta at check in and you may get one and not have to pay extra for it.

lancashire
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: going to malta

thanks id think i will book it now was very unsure about goin in winter but as long as everythings open thats okay because that was reason for going to see all the history where did you stay if you don t mind me askin and any info on buses and places to eat booked in for two weeks half board and third week b and b thanks.