We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand Luggage - weight of?

North east england
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hand Luggage - weight of?

We are travelling to USA next year, using three different airlines (BA, virgin and US airlines), I've been checking their rules on hand luggage (as will be using my carry-on bag to transport my wedding dress....)

According to Virgin, the weight needs to be less than 6kg, but BA and US airlines allow 23kg and 18kg....

How can there be so much difference? 6kg to 23kg? most of the suitable cabin-type bags weight approx 2kg empty, without any wedding dress weight?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

How can there be so much difference?

Because each airline is free to set their own limits. If you don't comply with them, you face the possibility of your bag being taken away and checked.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

As gracie-boo says, each ailine sets their own rules. Unfortunately, when traveling on multiple airlines, your carry-on needs to comply with the most restrictive policy. Unless you can check the dress for only the Virgin portion of the flight, you're stuck with the 6 KG limit as your maximum.

Since the item you're carrying is your wedding dress and they can be quite bulky, you will also need to check on dimensions allowed to insure the box (carrying case) is not too large.

You may want to check the websites and/or call the airlines involved and explain the situation. They may be able to make some arrangement to assist you. On the websites, do a search using the term wedding dress to find the appropriate FAQ..

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

Airlines do sometimes make arrangements for the transport of wedding dresses. Some count it with your checked in luggage allowance but others will allow it to be hung up in 1st class cabin wardrobe etc. and carried on as hand luggage. But they all differ.

Get in touch with each airline and ask and have a print out of instructions if they are making special arrangements for you.

Have a look at this like for a little info

flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

FedEx? UPS? DHL?......Seems the best way to me.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

Do BA and US really allow 23kg as a cabin bag weight?

As has been mentioned, I would contact the airlines and ask if they would be willing to make special arrangements for a wedding dress.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

Yes, they do. I think it's crazy. Plenty of people won't be able to lift their 23kg bag into the overhead bin.And if one would happen to fall out on someone's head it could lead to serious injury.

But it was nice packing my hand luggage on my last trip without having to worry about its weight.

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

You didn't read it correctly. It's 23kg for checked - 18kg for carry-on for US Airways.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

We used to just wear lots of stuff so we could escape cheap UK carriers' punitive luggage charges and our favourite cheapo's 10-kilo carry on limits.

However I guess the advice to wear your wedding dress en-route may not be too constructive. But it might get you an upgrade..?

Edited: 16 December 2011, 19:38
Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

Usually the aircraft has a compartment for suits. All the flight crew when you get on.... Thru should be able to help you out.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hand Luggage - weight of?

yes; ba allow 23kg. but you are restricted by the dimensions of the bag, and gauges are used at check-in. also: their rules clearly state that you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker, or put it under the seat in front of you, yourself. their cabin crew are told not to assist with this in case of injury.

pam