We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

I've asked this on another Trip Advisor forum but I guess I'm likely to get a more expert view here!

I'm thinking about switching our flights for next summer (EDI > LAS return) as the ones we've booked are going to change because of the sale of BMI. Looking at Continental.com I can find flights on the US site for $851 each and the same flights on the UK site are £750 each. So if I can book through the US site the cost to me will be around £545 each and that's quite a difference as there will be 2 of us travelling.

Can I book through the US site?

Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

I don't know why not. You may want to just try and see if it will accept your credit card.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

Do the flights at the CO website include taxes and fees? With such a substantial difference in price I suspect they do not ... hm. A quick this 'n' that at the website shows a base fare for travel in June at $US900, but that doesn't include taxes and fees; those take the total to about $US1050.

If you have the same choice of flights and fares at the US-based website, and if the site will accept your UK-based credit card then book away and enjoy the savings.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

Had a problem in the past on the US site accepting a UK address credit card. Good luck.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

Taxes could be the answer but I'll check it out.

Thanks folks.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

I recall an Aussie stating on this forum that he could buy tickets on SouthWest with his Oz credit card, but he couldn't use it to pay for the early boarding upgrade. Just an odd thing I thought I would mention.

You also might need to authorize (authorise?) your credit card to be accepted by a company with a foreign billing address.

Edited: 26 December 2011, 22:06
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

The issue you could run into is CCV (Credit Card Verification). Privavy laws make it hard for US based companies to verify the billing information for credit cards issued by some foreign banks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

Another problem you could strike is that the web site may want your address, but will accept only US states and Zip codes.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

I've never had a problem doing this (albeit not with CO). As others have alluded to, America has a pricing system which, to those not used to it, can unfortunately be pretty deceptive - as taxes only 'magically' appear at the end of the process (or when you take your goods to a till to pay).

More to the point - do you know for sure that your flights have to change? The sale of BD isn't confirmed - and I would imagine that existing codeshare bookings (I assume that's what you have ex-EDI) will be honoured. May be worth changing for peace of mind - but not if it costs much.

Edited: 26 December 2011, 23:34
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

"As others have alluded to, America has a pricing system which, to those not used to it, can unfortunately be pretty deceptive "

Actually, IMO they're much better displayed than on some of the popular International airline sites. Most US sites display your total fare (including taxes & fees) once you have selected your flights. In addition to this, there's no gigantic fuel surcharge included in the taxes & fees. US regulations require fuel surcharges to be quoted as a portion of the base fare, not broken out as a separate fee.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK Resident Booking Through US Airline Site??

Different airlines I know, but in the last week I purchased Southwest and Jetblue tickets from Australia with no problems.