We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

The family is traveling Sydney to New York via LAX (already booked the Syd/LAX flights) on 17 Jan. haven't yet booked the LAX/NY flights yet.

Looking for advice and opinions on:

1. Best airline to go with LAX to NY

2. Best NY airport to head for.

3. How much time we should allow between flights (ours is due in to LAX at 10am). We would like to get to NY the same day.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers

Julia

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

Class of travel?

Who are you flying Sydney-LA with, and why not book it as one ticket originally?

Edited: 27 December 2011, 23:32
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

Also where in NY are you staying? In NYC itself? If so which borough and neighborhood?

Each airport has pros and cons (no flights into LGA from LAX though)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

Travelling with Qantas Syd - LAX (business via frequent fliers points) and return economy. The plan is to go Syd - LAX - NYC (7 days) then to telluride (10 days) then back to LA (6 days) then home. In New York staying mid town near theatre district. Doing all the booking myself hence the questions.

Thanks again

Julia

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

May be easier for you to go into JFK to get into NYC. Lax to JFk most airlines fly direct no stops.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
918 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

You should allow a minimum of 2 hours for a connection from an international flight to a domestic one, but a little longer wouldn't hurt, just in case. There are non-stop flights from LAX to both JFK and Newark, so you should base your choice on the best schedules and fares to either airport. Your non-stop options include JetBlue (my personal choice), Virgin America, Continental/United, Delta and American.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

"You should allow a minimum of 2 hours"

Actually since you'll be flying on separate tickets, I would make it a minimum of 3 hours. Once you clear customs and immigration, you will need to get your bags over to the next carrier and recheck in with them. All of this will take time.

As you will be on separate tickets, neither airline will be obligated to assist you in case of a missed connection. Therefore I would err on the safe side and go with a longer connection time frame rather than the bare minimum.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
572 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

Something to consider is that NY is 3 hours ahead of LA. The flight takes about 6 hrs, so you will land 9 hours after you took off by the clock. As others have said, you should allow at least 3 hours for immigration and checking in for your onward flight. That means you will arrive in NY pretty late at night-and probably exhausted. It might make sense to spend the night in LA-at least the hotel will be much cheaper.

I'm with Whirlwind on JetBlue as the nicest option, with Virgin America a close second. If you're flying back to LAX from Denver, be sure to check Southwest for their flights. JetBlue allows 1 free bag, Southwest allows 2, something to consider when figuring out the price of the flight.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,765 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

My suggestion is you stick with a Oneworld carrier domestically. In that case, that would mean American (AA). Even if your domestic ticket is issued separately (paid or via points), QF and AA should be able to check-in for your onward flight in either direction so you can get your boarding pass and bags checked through. Upon entrance into the US, you will still have to go through immigration and claim your bags, but you won't have to drag your bags back to the check-in counter after customs. You will be able to drop them right off after customs inspection. Still, I suggest you allow 3 hours between the two flights on the inbound to the US owing to the possible long line at immigration and subsequent security.

Also, have you booked and issued your tickets on points yet? You might be able to book QF-AA award tickets with no extra points involved. I am not familiar with the QF program to know for sure but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Domestically flying into NYC, your logical choice from LAX will be JFK. EWR is further from NYC and transport costs more. There are no directs between LAX and LGA.

If you decide not to go with AA, I would opt for Jet Blue.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Interestingly I have spent the best part of the day trying to book a multi-flight on United. LAX - JFK , LGA - Denver - Montrose, Montrose - Denver - LAX. I made the mistake of originally doing all of this via the USA United website (rather than the Australian one). I managed to choose their ëconomy plus"extra legroom seats for all but one flight (husband & son are both tall) and pay a bit more then when I got to finally pay, it wouldn't work because I needed to have a USA address (zip). So I started over on the Australian website and couldn't book the identical seats as they indicated as ünavailable". Didn't maker sense so i called customer service (Singapore call centre). They said it's not available in Australia! Still trying to get on to someone in the US but it seems impossible. Maybe need to try a different airline.

10. Re: How long between change-over flight, LAX to JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 10:18