We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

We booked 3 months in advance for a 8.10pm flight from Hanoi to hue. Arrived at the airport to be told we're being bumped to a flight the next day, meaning a very early start, 6am flight and screwing up our plans.

I get that most airlines over book flights, but wanted to post this for people to be aware of how this airline treated us in order to warn others that this could happen..... So don't be surprised folks

Firstly, we were told that we'd be sent to a nice hotel close to the airport in order to be ready for the 6am flight.

Reality, we were sent to a nearby hotel, but one that was not what I'd describe as nice. In fact it was dirty, and one of the worst rooms I've ever stepped foot in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting the shangri-la, but this was just a complete joke and an insult frankly.

We immediately complained and they ferried us back to Hanoi centre to stay in a 4 star hotel, which was fine -clean and friendly.

The other thing that I find insulting is the 'compensation payment' for being bumped . $15 each. Seriously, for being inconvenienced in this way when you've planned a big trip (of which this was one if many legs) this is what's called 'lip service' in my opinion.

Anyways, rant over. I guess I just wanted to highlight to others out there that this kind of practise exists so don't be surprised.

1. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 January 2012, 21:35
Edited: 02 January 2012, 21:35
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

Vietnam Airlines is not a budget airline. It's the national airline of Vietnam.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

"No doubt though, the majority of replies forthcoming will be a mixture of venom that you payed to fly on a budget airline and asking what you expected."

If that's your opinion of the people that post and reply on this site, why even bother coming here. You're obviously not going to get answers you're happy with.

Truth is, a large number of the people that come on here to complain, either have not really had a problem at all, or had a problem that was either partially or completely caused by them.

If people would do some research ahead of time, make sure to verify all information during the booking process, read the T&C's and follow the rules instead of trying to game the system, at least 3/4 of the problems people post on this site would magically dissappear

4. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 January 2012, 05:35
Edited: 03 January 2012, 05:35
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

Airline schedules are always subject to change, not only a decision by the company but because weather delays or a plane going tech downroute can have a knock on effect on services.

Depending on the number of pax who needed accommodation for the delayed service, there may have been a limited number of hotel rooms available for the pax who needed a place to stay. That the airline moved you to another hotel is good to hear.

Since you don't give an outcome, I'll take it that you flew from Hanoi to Hue the next day. If that was the case, what further compensation would you like from the airline (legitimate and not at all sarky question)?

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
572 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

I'm with Shabnam A. I'm glad that someone else noticed how this board works.The, "if you don't like it, leave" response says everything.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

Hi,

I don't know that I would have offered $15 as IDB compensation.-- only because of the perception it would give (as was apparently the case) ... but... I also know that since you were evidently on a domestic sector, only national VN laws come into play about what is required under such circumstances.. and in many cases within SE Asia, these payment levels can be far lower than what would otherwise be made if the trip was international in nature... In some cases the payment amount is, effectively "pegged" the local economies of scale.

As an illustrative example, if you fly domestically within the Philippines and your checked baggage is lost by the carrier, your maximum payment required under domestic law is PHP40 or a little less than one US Dollar for each pound of baggage you had.. by contrast, if it was international, you'd be entitled to at least US$9.07+/- or more per pound (varies by route) so a sizable difference which is essentially all attributed to the nature of your travel-- domestic or international.

Without having read the law on this matter within Vietnam, I suspect it is exactly the same situation-- compensation for domestic matters is far, far less/lower than what's required if the same situation were to occur but on an international sector... again theory being it's being pegged to local economies of scale.

Is this is a case of "you get what you pay for?" .... Hard to say. It sounds like there was a few chances for perhaps a better handling, but it also sounds as if the local law was met.... What I would call it is that this case is/was a case of "the law of the country in which you case arose" that governed the matter and wasn't really a carrier discretionary element.

That said, this doesn't preclude VN from offering more; any airline can always offer more than required under contract or law, but in the end, I'd expect them to at least meet local applicable law.

Is it a case of "you don't like it leave?" as some assert? I don't think so.. why? Because in this specific case had the OP flown another carrier (albeit for VN domestic options are very, very limited) on the same domestic sector, the same VN law would be applied to their case.. so it looks to me to be more a case of what the law says on the matter than anything else.

As to the claim that ":... you can throw the T&C at every issue..." there's some truth to that.. in the end I think one must recognize that airline travel is-- rightly or wrongly-- a highly regulated event and that many, if not most, aspects of it are in fact clearly spoken to by either Contract of Carriage and/or domestic law or international convention..

Travel Safe,

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

GOPBI as ever the voice of reason and knowledge.

Really is a delight to read your posts.

London
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

Getting slightly away from original post but do tend to agree with Shabnam and talb that on this particular forum there is small group of posters who cant seem to wait to jump up with one upmanship and serves your right remarks. This forum is about travellers advice and exeriences and whether they read the T/C's or not does highlight potential problems to future travellers.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam airlines - bumped off flight

Hi,

wanderin_star,

"... on this particular forum there is small group of posters who cant seem to wait to jump up with one upmanship and serves your right remarks. This forum is about travellers advice and exeriences and whether they read the T/C's or not does highlight potential problems to future travellers.."

I can see your viewpoint, but I also recognize that are in fact some cases here where the true genesis to the problem was the passengers failure (a harsh word, but I do think would be correct) in whole or part, to read, ask questions or the like -- beforehand-- about the terms, rules, policies etc that might apply...

Does this mean it should be a "jump on the OP" case? Does this mean there's no room for empathy? No, I don't think it's right for it to be jump-on case or to be devoid of some level of empathy.. but again, I think it's only fair, accurate... and most helpful to all-- the OP as well as others who come to look for guidance, answers and insight, for the AT community at large to present what we know to be the verifiable facts and to dispel what is essentially speculation, conjecture or the like..

Personal experience are fine.. and they're all very valid.. but they are just that.. personal experiences.. and I think it's right to be sure that we separate what is opinion and what is fact.

Travel Safe,