We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I am kind of new to the BA Executive Club and I am finding their website and rewards program to be one of the most confusing and frustrating exercises I have ever gone through.

Am I imagining things or are others having this experience?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Has anyone heard how you can book a flight to Entebbe, Uganda using Avios points through British Airways. Apparently it is a high fraud area and it seems very difficult if not impossible to find a way to pay for the fees through British Airways. I was told we have to find an airport that will accept payment and that most don't! Has anyone booked a flight from Canada to Uganda using the Avios points?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I just made a dummy booking at www.ba.com (the Canadian version of the website) for a reward flight from YVR to EBB, without any problems at all.

There may be an issue for someone who wishes to book in Uganda for a flight to Canada, but booking from Canada to EBB was a matter of signing in to my account, choosing dates and paying for the booking.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

we love BA Avios for booking short flights on american airlines within the USA., starting from only 4500 avios each way (distanced based)

by the way, now there's a great ba visa credit card offer with bonus of up to 100k avios.

facebook.com/pages/…269796703135332

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I'm late joining this topic but will reiterate the need to be both patient & book well in advance. We travel annually to both Cape Town & Nairobi in either First or CW & both flights are booked using Avios, either as an upgrade from WT+ or using my Amex companion voucher.

I know that I won't get either route during long school vacations or at Christmas & I need to book 355 days ahead. However, I have noticed that availability on both routes has decreased since SAA cancelled their LHR-CPT service & VA their LHR-NBO route.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I was told we have to find an airport that will accept payment and that most don't

=======

Can you expand upon what you actually mean by that. DO you mean you must turn up in person at an airport because they will not accept payment over the net??

Seems extreme but I can see where they are coming from - now you also say "most don't (accept payment)" - well was it a guessing game and did they tell you which ones did?

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Post 64 - I can only book my holidays during school holidays because of work and I have still managed to use them. It's not easy but it can be done!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Hi Nicmel - have you managed to get flights to SA for next year? I'm about to look for availability for late November but maybe that is too late for the spring flowers - must get onto the Cape Town board again to check. Can't go earlier as it clashes with another trip.

I also manage to get flights during school holiday times but as you say you have to be on your computer 355 days out. I managed to get flights in F to Sydney 5 days before Easter next year with stopovers in Singapore by doing just that. Sadly I'm going to have to cancel them as I've just booked a cheap business class return there (with cash!!) - it would be silly to go to Oz twice in one year!

That's one of the good things about Avios bookings - you can cancel them - albeit with a £25 cancellation fee if yore not Gold or higher.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

There is limited availability showing for November. First is available from 6 Nov O/B on certain days, I/B 18, 19, 20. Less in CW. It's the usual thing of snagging your O/B & then changing the return date a week or 2 later.

I managed to get F for Feb/ March next year. Originally the return flight was a day flight (yeuch) but they rescheduled it a couple of months ago to a night flight. They used one of the ex BMI Heathrow slots. I even persuaded them to put us on BA 58 ex CPT at 2045 which is a much more civilized hour.

I stress though that they have definitely reduced the number due to the lack of competition.

Yes, you'll be too late for the Spring flowers but the weather will be better. October was very disappointing this year.

Edited: 01 December 2012, 12:08
New York City, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Pixfield, You are not alone! I, too, find the experience extremely frustrating through BA (US site).

Use the calculator to find estimates, and the additional fees cost just as much as a full RT ticket with another airline.

Do a dummy booking, and half the locations don't have any inbound or outbound flights from them, even though the Avios calculator indicated it did.

It's an ugly system with confusing and misleading results!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Use the calculator to find estimates, and the additional fees cost just as much as a full RT ticket with another airline.

Do a dummy booking, and half the locations don't have any inbound or outbound flights from them, even though the Avios calculator indicated it did.

1) Don't use Avios for longhaul economy flights on BA

2) The calculator is just that, a calculator, it has no knowledge of availability, it just tells you the number of miles you need for a given journey.