We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Forum perhaps, TA?

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Forum perhaps, TA?

I enjoy benefitting from the advice and experience of all air travellers on this forum and have used such advice to my advantage on various occasions. I've noticed one constant theme which comes up with such frequency it leaps out at me nearly every day, and that is the complaints lodged by users of 3rd party web sites, consolidators, budget travel sites etc. when it comes to ticket purchases.

These complaints occur so often that it would seem to me that TA would do well to have a separate forum for this subject!

It would appear that many people don't exercise due diligence when buying air tickets and are blinded by the desire for the lowest fare, often to their sorrow.

Do the proper online legwork, read the fine print from the airline, be aware that these operators are just agents and you still have to comply with the airlines regulations, don't throw caution to the wind in your haste to get a deal and for the best price, 99% of the time you'll get it from the airlines!

Having said this, I know I'll be reading yet another complaint in the next few hours!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

You should post this on the Help us MakeTA Better Forum (HUMTAB).

It seems like a good idea to me and it's not just airline bookings that go sour with 3rd party websites. Can also be hotels , tours etc. .

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

Thanks for the suggestion nozzie. I didn't realise there was such a thing as HUMTAB. I popped a post on there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

Well done!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,697 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

I'm sorry but I cannot really see much advantage in having a forum strictly for complaints. I suspect you could repeat your 4th paragraph ad nausem and people *still* would not perform their due diligence.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

What half-Brit says, then on top of that, most posters would likely still post in the destination forum anyway (be that airlines or location for hotels) with their whinges.

Plus, because you'd now have two forums where a complaint about weripyouoff.com might lodge (because inevitably some people would post in the "wrong" forum), someone who actually does do their due diligence might miss it by choosing the wrong forum and not realising there is another one to look in.

Finally, its not always clear where the responsibility for a problem lies, so at least by having just the one forum, a complaint about weripyouoff.com and a booking on Onawingandaprayer Airlines is sure to be found here, rather than wondering which forum.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 08:56
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

Does it just hav eto be baout complaints though?. Couldnt it focus on booking engines and how to use them or not use them?

Of course there will inevitably be complaints but it could also generate good advice too.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

joeintheuk, I have just booked my flights with Onawingandaprayer Airlines via weripyouoff.com. Are you telling me they are no good????????

8. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 January 2012, 23:51
Edited: 06 January 2012, 23:51
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

I don't think they are any worse than igotayachtpayment.com or gimmeyourmoney.org

Where they have the motto:

"We take your vacation, seriously."

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Forum perhaps, TA?

What Joe said. People with legitimate complaints should post them here where travelers doing their research will see them.