We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

I'm travelling to san fransisco in a few months and was wondering whether to fly indirect with air new zealand or direct with virgin or ba. I've been quoted the same price. Is air new zealand worth the 5 hour difference???

Thanks

Amon

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

In my view a direct flight is always better than indirect unless there is a significant saving - in this scenario I would opt for BA Premium Economy

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

I agree direct flights always better - and I have flown both Virgin and Air New Zealand - both are very good but i personally would choose Virgin as the better

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

I would opt for BA Premium Economy as well. Flying NZ really isn't worth the 5 hr difference IMHO.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

I have flown all three of these airlines on long haul, and would say that Air New Zealand offers a far better product that Virgin and certainly better than BA (there is also a better than even chance that your luggage will arrive at the same time as you do - take note BA !)

Only you can make the decision as to which is more important to you, time or comfort

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

Only you can make the decision as to which is more important to you, time or comfort

---------

Quite. The new Air New Zealand PE product looks pretty fantastic from what I've seen of it. I'd be tempted to try it if it weren't for the having to go via LAX, even though it is T2 and not TBIT...

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

The NZ product on the LHR-LAX route is now far superior to BA or VS in premium economy (business class food and a 2-2-2 seating configuration beats enhanced economy class food and a 2-4-2 configuration on a 747 or A340).

Yet I'd prefer direct given it involves a time consuming and stressful transfer at LAX. VS or BA are much of a muchness on LHR-SFO in that class, although I'd marginally prefer VS over BA - if you have a frequent flyer loyalty that says different go with that.

Wallington, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

As others state, the Air NZ product is also superior to the others - far superior in the case of BA. It really comes down to inconveniance of transiting LAX the layover there. Reports are so bad I have always successfully avoided it. This said, if comfort on a long flight is important to you the significantly better Air NZ PE would be the logical choice (though I am not sure who you are using for the connection from LAX to SFO. I might be tempted to do the same if alone though would probably do direct in Virgin if with my family.

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

I'm also flying back from Las Vegas so I would have to fly through LAX if i were to chose ANZ. Maybe I should stick with BA as the fares are a lot higher with Virgin

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

Having said that, I went ahead and booked with air newzealand. Couldn't bare the thought of another 11 hour flight with someone reclining the chair into me!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!

10. Re: Air new zealand premium economy vs virgin/ba premium econ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:18