We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

New York City
Level Contributor
46 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

Flew in August 2011 from Tel Aviv to Athens to catch a cruise, after having visited family in Israel. Had 5 extra bags of luggage, and was charged nearly $1300 for these bags. Was told to either pay this amount, or I should ship these bags to Athens by postal service, which was absurd and impractical since our cruise was leaving the next day. The Aegean website is not clear on excess luggage charges. The same 5 extra bags of luggage on Aer Lingus, traveling back from Venice to JFK cost $300 total. What a ripoff by Aegean Airlines for a 2 hour flight, and what incredibly mean personnel we encountered at Ben Gurion Airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

Hm. Cliches often have an element of truth in them; irritating but there it is. Something about not teaching one's granny to s*ck eggs comes to mind: …aegeanair.com/all-about-us/… …aegeanair.com/all-about-us/… …aegeanair.com/all-about-us/…

Failure to read and understand the information at the website does not put Aegean at fault, but is a failure of the person who does not seek the information before agreeing to the purchase.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

hahahahaha! 5 bags! I am the QUEEN of overshopping on holiday and ending up with too much luggage, but I have NEVER had 5 extra bags! Maybe because I avail myself of the post office before checking in to ship stuff home! Totally your fault for not checking this out before showing up at the airport!

And by the way... last year I was in Greece and flew Aegean domestically and internationally. As per usual I was a couple of kilos over the luggage limit after too much shopping and guess what... the staff member was very polite, apologised and said she had to enforce the rules... I paid the extra amount and then enjoyed my flight... Aegean are a great airline.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,527 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

Anyone see the irony in an attorney not reading the rules & regulations

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

5 bag?! You should have checked the airline's website prior to departure instead of whining about it now.

Did you expect they'd let you check in 5 bags for free?!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

That speeding ticket thread is hilarious as well, I'd recommend it :)

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

The speeding ticket thread made me laugh so much

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

If you read OP's speeding ticket thread, you will understand their outrage at having to pay for five extra bags.

"As an attorney who handles traffic court matters in NY, live police officers usually don't issue speeding tickets in NYC unless you exceed the speed limit by 15 mph. This area is a known speed trap and is a revenue raising venture."

Apparently, it's now a known trap and a revenue raising venture to actually charge when someone exceeds their bag limit.

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

Reading jugenjury's post's they look like a nightmare traveller

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,381 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

I like the fact that as an Attorney he thinks it's perfectly ok to break the law, exceed the speed limit by 12mph, and then complain when someone has the audacity to ticket him. Priceless!!

London
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Aegean Airlines- beware!! Ripoff on fees for Extra Luggage

" I will never fly any airline that doesn't offer a flat rate for luggage up to 50 lbs "

Has it occurred to you that this extra luggage does actually cost the airline real money? The extra weight of that extra luggage means the aircraft burns extra fuel. Boeing and Airbus are investing constantly to try and shave a few grams off the weight of the planes, but you want to be able to add loads of extra weight to the flight for free? Have you seen the price of oil lately?

I fail to see why those of us who travel lightly should be expected to subsidise someone who chooses to bring along a very large amount of luggage. Even less someone who doesn't check the terms and conditions first.