We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera Allowed?

Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Topic
Camera Allowed?

Hi,

I am travelling from Heathrow - Dubai in April on Royal Brunei Airlines and i want to take the following camera:

fujifilm.eu/uk/…

To film a bit of my journey, but the camera needs 4 AA batteries to run, will i be able to take it with me to film? If so, do i put it in hand luggage?

And if not, will i be able to take it on the return flight ( Dubai - Heathrow)

Or should i just buy a camera that doesn't need batteries?

Thanks for reading :)

Raheem

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera Allowed?

There is no restriction on cameras or AA batteries. NEVER NEVER NEVER place a camera or other expensive item in checked baggage.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera Allowed?

No restriction of batteries for carry on. Just so you (and others) know, TSA in the US does restricted "lithium" batteries (including lithium AA batteries) in CHECKED luggage (see http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm). I don't know if other countries have the same restriction.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera Allowed?

Wet batteries containig acid are also restricted,but these like lithium are rarely used in cameras.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera Allowed?

No cameras these days that don't need batteries.

And cameras are not restricted electronics on planes so they can be used on take off and landing.

There are some airports, and the internal areas of customs and quarantine where you are not allowed to film, however.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera Allowed?

"And cameras are not restricted electronics on planes so they can be used on take off and landing."

Not really true. Most airlines are now enforcing a "if it has an on/off switch, it must be off" policy. If you are snapping pictures on the taxi out to the runway, I would expect the flight attendants will be telling you to stow it - especially with the size of the camera the OP linked.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera Allowed?

The current wording on the back of in flight warnings does not include cameras and i have openly used mine without any complaints. However, it is possible I am still in breach. It is hardly a radio emitting device.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera Allowed?

Hi,

I tend to agree with Tev on this issue alone.. in that I find in my travel the 'norm' is becoming "all" electronics..

and to a point I can see why.. lest you get into a laundry list scenario to be dealt with on pre-departure about what is and is not OK and in what "mode"

Do do it "piece-meal" means you'd end having to say or make a list that say: this is OK, this is not, but this OK is when like this it is, but when used like that it's not..etc,.etc.. So for simplicity sake, they take the all encompassing position,.

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera Allowed?

Raheem,

I short, YES, you can take your camera with you. You should carry it with you or in your carry on. Do not put it in your checked bags because (a) batteries aren't allowed in checked bags, and (b) it could be stolen by unscrupulous baggage handlers or even security staff.

The only issue I have with cameras is which one to take; my small compact point & shoot, or my DSLR plus extra lenses and speedlight. The latter is heavy and sometimes violates airlines carry on weight restrictions.

9. Re: Camera Allowed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:29