We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates and their woefull time slots

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates and their woefull time slots

Honestly ... sometimes i wonder why i even bother with Emirates at times. Why do they have such lousy schedules of their flights from the UK (and most of Europe). Most tend to leave around midday arriving in Dubai very late (in my case from Newcastle arriving at midnight, thus everything will be closed), and then the returns are usually first thing in the morning ... THUS you basically miss out on two days vacation.

Isn't it about time they got some better time slots?

uk
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

But an awful of lot of passengers on EK flights from the UK are connecting to other destinations and connections will be a big factor to the scheduling.

From small airports, like NCL, I don't think it is the UK slot that is the issue, I'm sure that EK could have any slot time they chose at these airports.

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

Sure i do understand alot of the flights are connections .... but alot are also travelling to Dubai. For these people the connections are woefull.

It's getting to the point, i'm going to have to travel via another airline to get to Dubai just so i arrive earlier and can leave late.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

Shabnam,

You hit on a primary reason I don't fly EK anymore. There are much better connections between Europe or North America and Australia than going through Dubai.

uk
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

Will be interesting to see if others follow you.

I know that the EK flight from NCL is often over subscribed so there is obviously plenty of people happy or accepting of the flight times.

With the flight length and time differences to Dubai I think it is difficult to schedule flights that would please everybody.

Say they scheduled a later departure for the plane from Dubai so you could get a full last day of holiday, that would push the departure from Newcastle back even further so you're arriving in Dubai very early in the morning, and therefore you get a full day in Dubai but probably 8 hours plus when you can't check into your hotel after being up literally all night on the flight.

I have seen an awful lot of people looking very miserable when they are trying to check into their hotel at c.7am to be told the room won't be ready until 3pm.

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

I'm looking at Emirates to fly LGW - DXB - KUL return and the flights do have bad times. I'm tempted to do a 2 night Dubai stopover as I don't want to connect flights at such a late time. I would fly Malaysia but they are a lot more expensive

uk
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

......maybe Emirates have poor connection times to encourage tourism into Dubai. I do know they often offer free hotel accomodation is you stop over.

Additionally Dubai airport operates 24/7, an option majority of European Airports do not have. Connections are therefore often bad because of their operating hours,

You'll never get a 1am to 5am layover at LHR because the airport isn't operating in those hours.

It is this increase in operational hours that allows EK to have so much capacity and therefore keep prices down.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 16:24
uk
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

Hi This is only a problem from your viewpoint if you have to use Newcastle airport. If you were to use Manchester you have,

EK 20 dpt MAN at 20.10 ari DXB 07.10

EK19 dpt DXB at 14.35 ari MAN 18.25

From Heathrow

EK04 dpt LHR at 20.15 ari DXB 07.00

EK06 dpt LHR at 22.00 ari DXB 08.45

EK05 dpt DXB at 16.30 ari LHR 20.15

EK03 dpt DXB at 14.30 ari LHR 18.15

If you feel that EK still do not meet your needs, and wish to use another airline consider this.

Chances are that you will not get a direct flight from Newcastle so will have to use another airport in the UK.

Also....... you may have to fly to Abu Dahbi and drive 2 hours to DXB ....

Good Luck.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,380 posts
2,298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

We use Emirates from Manchester often and as pointed above we have no problems regarding timing and its a popular hub we use to get to other places such as the Far East.

More importantly its price competitive. With Newcastle, it may have more to do with landing slots they have been given.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

''Honestly ... sometimes i wonder why i even bother with Emirates at times''

If you don't like the flight times fly with someone else who's schedule you do like, or perhaps fly from MAN as already mentioned.

The service from NCL is dire as well as the planes.... so I use another airport and another carrier.

You pay on the whole the same (and sometimes more) to fly the old outdated planes from NCL, as MAN on the 380.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
45,592 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates and their woefull time slots

Agree with Preston and Scotlandscout. Emirates have decent schedules to choose from ex Manchester, plus pretty decent aircraft.

I think its just Newcastle that have the old airbus and bad timings.