We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

emmalovesdolphins
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

We are flying from Manchester to New york on a AA operated flight on a 757 what will this be like?

On way back we fly with BA on world traveller flight on a 777

uk
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Is your return via LHR? If it is direct to MAN then that will also be with AA but as it is on a 777 then I'm assuming it is via LHR.

I'm assuming you're in EC with AA also.

The AA flight will provide a meal shortly after take off and a small snack before landing. Soft drinks are inclusive, alcohol is at a fee (although they are changing this).

Seat back TVs are provided, need to buy head phones (or bing your own).

This is a single aisle aircraft which many people dislike for longer flights but I have no issues with.

Service back with BA will be pretty similar but alcohol is inclusive and you don't need to buy head phones. Not all planes used on this route by BA have seat back TVs I believe.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 11:50
emmalovesdolphins
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Yes we fly back via LHR.

I got told on AA website that in EC we dont get back seat screens just one overhead one as the back seat screens are only on the 777 flights.

Ah well as long as it is not horrendous!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Please come back and explain the differences after this trip. I for one refuse to fly on the B757 or on AA!

Edited: 27 January 2012, 19:04
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

While I love the 757, I wouldn't fly it across the pond. The 777 is the smallest I would go on.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

"The 777 is the smallest I would go on."

Not leaving you much option. Not as if any airliner smaller is unsafe. :-/

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Non are unsafe 757 is a great plane it's just getting old and the in flight entertainment isn't up to the standard of new offerings like on 777 and airbus. Us airways used to use a nice a330 and continental a 777 but that changed years ago. They could upgrade the cabin at huge expense but all these American carriers are bordering on bankruptcy and its seen as unnecessary. This is not a risk by the way because in America you don't let an American company go bankrupt you pump money in ad give them time to change.......

Only problem with AA is the old dragons of cabin crew although unfortunately BA are almost the same!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,924 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Post was a year ago.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Looks like it's been resurrected for its birthday! One more day and it would have been locked! ;-)

Crewe, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

Anyone got any update on this flight BA1553? there are 3 adults going to New York from Manchester June 9th. what's the entertainment like? do they have seat TVs or overhead TVs?? and what's the food and drink like? not bothered if I have to pay for drinks but any information of any recent experiences would be appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester to New York BA1553 operated by American Airlines

I travelled on this flight route on the 6th August and was very impressed with American Airlines, having previously flown with BA.

I was prepared for the issue of the plane having shared tv screens as this plane is the 757 which my niece had discovered having sourced on the internet and trip advisor.

I was more disappointed with my local branch of Thomas Cook as when I booked the holiday there was no mention of the plane being old style where if you flew from Heathrow there was a chance you could be on the 777 plane which is the newer style.

Beware of all your booking reference numbers as it can cause confusion for pre booking extra legroom seats which is worth doing.

At the airport your flight number is the AA number .Forgetting all the moans the flight was exceptional food and drink was great staff were polite and friendly.