We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic

Hull
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic

Any help on this one, or at least suggestion who is to blame.....?

I booked 3 flights last July with Virgin Atlantic for travel in May this year. I booked the flights over the phone direct with Virgin Atlantic, and received ETickets later that day. A few weeks later I booked all accommodation with another travel agent. Only noticed a week ago that Virgin Atlantic had booked me on the wrong return flight (leaving 3 days earlier!) instead of the Sunday flight for a fortnights duration, they had booked us on the previous Thursday flight. I rang Customer Services there in total panic and had to pay a further £388 to change the flight to the one that I thought they had booked me on. I rang to complain and say the error was theirs and requested the refund of the extra paid to be told no chance and I should have checked the E-Tickets. I agree that I should have done this but that is my only error, and should not have cost me nearly £400 more. Any advise............

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Unfortunately I think you're going to have to swallow this one. Only mistake, but a biggie. Not sure about VS, but I know BA has a 24 hour cooling off period for phone bookings for precisely this reason.

As a last resort, there may be some merit in requesting a recording of the call - by submitting a subject access request under the Data Protection Act if necessary (admin fee applies). However, whilst this may prove the mistake was at their end, they may continue to maintain that it does not absolve you of your responsibilities to check.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 15:10
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,230 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Well I always check my e tickets as soon as I receive them and print them off and you had chance to do this since last July.

So I would think its your own fault.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,282 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Not much you can do I'm afraid. It's your word against the agent who you booked it with over the phone - unless Virgin keep a recording of all phone records?

As the second agent advised you, you should have checked the dates on the e-tickets the moment your itinerary was confirmed. If you would have noticed the error at this point, then Virgin would probably have amended the dates for free.

Is there any way you can change the datesof your accommodation to mirror your flights?

Sorry that it's not what you want to hear, and I hope the whole episode doesn't spoil a very much deserved holiday.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,140 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic

I'm afraid unless you can prove it was their error you'll simply have to put it down to experience

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Suck it up for now, then write a polite letter to Virgin stating that the agent made a mistake but you have paid to change it as you are worried about the price going up between now and when this is resolved, and woudl like a refund, referring them to the original recordings to prove your case.

(If they have them, I wonder if they keep them going that far back? Though if they dont but are legally obligated to keep for them a year or 7 years, then maybe they will back down because they cant prove anything)

Hull
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Many thanks for reply. Huge lesson learnt! I did ask if they had recorded the conversation buy apparently not! Just wish when I had booked they had told me to check all details, or even when the email confirmation came through anywhere on it, it had said to double check details. No where on the email does it state to check and report any problems within 24 hours. Just naively thought Virgin Atlantic wouldn't make such a big mistake!

Hull
Level Contributor
10 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Many thanks for info.. They tell me that the phone call when I made the flight bookings was not recorded, so it is my word against theirs. But why would I only want an 11 day holiday to USA, and then book 2 weeks accommodation a few days later... I will send a letter to their Customer Services but from what I have read I dont hold out much hope. Small fish etc..

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Companies and people make mistakes all the time. Booking agents don't think about the length of your holiday.

All you can do is immediately check any booking when you still have a chance to cancel or make changes without charge.

Please post the result if you ever hear back from customer service.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,566 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic

Did they tell you at before the start of the conversation that it was being recorded? If not, then it shouldn't have been.

It is always the customers responsibility (and common sense) to check everything has been booked correctly, whether it's a flight direct with airline, or a package holiday through a travel agent.

10. Re: Virgin Atlantic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2012, 15:05