We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

HI, I am flying Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg in July, arriving and departing the south terminal according to my eTicket. I'm curious as to what the process is for connecting thru ATL? I hear it's very confusing. Is the baggage generally checked thru or do I need to collect my luggage, go thru security and then check back in etc? I know i have plenty of time as I have a 4 hour connection. Would it be the same coming back?

Any info is appreciated!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

It depends on how you are getting to Atlanta, but let's assume you are doing the logical path of Air Canada from YYZ to ATL connecting to South African Airways and the reverse on the return.

On the way south you clear US Customs and Immigration in YYZ before you get on the plane. The plane lands in ATL as a domestic arrival and you simply walk (and train) your way over to the other terminal and get on the plane for the long segment.

On return you will arrive at the international arrivals area, clear immigration, wait for your bags, walk them through customs, put them on the belt, and then you will go through security out there in the international terminal (all international arriving passengers have to clear security before they may have access to the terminal area). Then you simply walk and train your way to the Air Canada gate for the flight to YYZ.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 20:03
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

Sorry should have included that I am flying Delta both ways.

Thanks for the info!

Edited: 03 February 2012, 20:12
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

Okay, well, same applies. Be sure you have their frequent flyer programme

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

How does one do that?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

You can do that here:http://www.delta.com/skymiles/index.jsp?

Delta is part of the alliance of airlines called Sky Team. You can earn points on Delta by flying any of them. Flying Delta to South Africa and back will get you a lot of points.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/

If you fly Air Canada a lot you should be a member of their programme too. They are part of StarAlliance. The other major alliance is OneWorld and it has airlines like American, Qantas, and British Airways in it. You should only need one milegeage programme per alliance, but you should try to push all your flying to one programme to maximise benefit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

Ok, I signed up. Now I don't see my booked trip but I assume that's because I booked it through a travel agent and the trip isn't until July. Do the skymiles show up once I take the trip?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

I suggest you call your travel agent and have them add your member number to your booking. The miles won't appear in your account until after travel. Be sure to hang on to your boarding passes until after you see the miles credited, in case your TA doesn't connect your number to your booking.

Edited: 03 February 2012, 23:59
New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

You need to have your travel agent enter your frequent flyer number on your reservation. You can do this yourself on the Delta website if you have your PRN (Delta reservation code), but since you used an agent better to have them do it. Once they do so then when you sign into Delta's website your trip should appear under "My Trips."

9. Re: Toronto - Atlanta - Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 10:16