We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines

Is it safe to book a flight for May 12 with AA...I heard it was bankrupt,has another company taken it over?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines

AA filed Chapter 11 which protects the company from creditors prior to filing so it can continue to operate while it reorganizes its finances. The airline has not gone into liquidation (Chapter 7). Expect the airline to be flying in May for now (I am flying them in 3 days).

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,665 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines

suzywillows

You won't have any problem at all with American Airlines for the reason why Sammyfloyd has articulated.. I have two trips booked with them, April and June and I'm not worried at all.

Regards

Edited: 04 February 2012, 12:09
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines

Hi,

Agreed.. it's largely a re-structuring and not a "bankruptcy" in the classic sense.. Yes, it falls under US Federal Bankruptcy court and laws-- and that's how the word and term 'bankrupt' gets tossed around.... but there's several different types (or Chapters) of bankruptcy, and the chapter that AA (or AMR as the parent) is using is the re-structuring chapter... and not the liquidation chapter that we commonly think of when we hear the term "bankrupt".

That said, do know that over the next months, you WILL see changes (all changes require the Bankruptcy courts approval and other creditor parties as well, so it's not a unilateral process on AA's part) such as some unprofitable route being eliminated, some new more promising routes added, fleet changes, fees, etc.. these are all part of their restructuring plan and are the most common passenger-facing changes....

There will also be some 'behind the scenes' changes that to you as the passenger, are less likely to see--- such as job eliminations, outsourcing, etc.. One however can argue that the the ramification of these behind-the-scenes changes can impact the passenger,-- like employee accessibility, and morale, but that's hard to quantify and objectively measure.

So, when it's all said and done I see no real danger to booking on AA.. I do think that your highest-odds for a "worst-case" scenario would be you book a flight on an AA route that is later deemed to be unprofitable and therefor cut..

But, if that were to happen, they commonly just transfer you to another airline who does still fly it or offer your a fee-free refund.. so not much chance of a financial loss in that regard.

Travel Safe.

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I feel reassured. The flight is from Manchester to NYC JFK, so hopefully this is not a route which will be altered.

S

5. Re: American Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2013, 10:19