We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

North Jersey
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

I purchased 17 tickets to El Salvador for a trip in Feb. I purchased the tickets at different intervals, and at different prices. I made the last purchase as the cheapest price. The savings should have ranged from $25.00 to $55.00. ALL the tickets are in the same class (economy), all are on the same flight, same dates, and times. Yet Orbitz will not give me the full refund difference. I just did a quick Google search on their Price Assurance and the only thing I can "assure," you after what happened to me, and hundreds of others, based on Google search reveals is that it is a SCAM...

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

I think the catch is it has to be "another Orbitz customer". If you were the only one buying tickets through Orbitz for this flight you would not be "another Orbitz customer".

Not sure if it is a scam or them just following their own stated rules.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
894 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

It isn't a scam if it follows the rules that they publish up front. You might claim that the rules are unreasonable or too complex, but I suspect you'd lose the argument. In this case, the rules seem very clear: it has to be a purchase by a different customer at a lower price. So your own purchases don't count. Perhaps (if this is a large group) you could get one of the other members of the group to do the next purchase (if any are still outstanding) which then would qualify (assuming same routing and ticket conditions).

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,558 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

You just can't compare the purchase of two economy tickets, there are also different fare buckets within each class of travel. So if you bought a fully flexible economy ticket you can't compare it against a heavily discounted economy ticket with restrictions.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

It's not a scam, you just are not understanding the terms and conditions:

".If Orbitz finds, after you have booked your flight, that another Orbitz customer subsequently books the same flight(s), meaning the same dates/times of travel, on the same airline, with the same flight numbers, for the same passenger type, itinerary, cabin, and subject to the same fare refundability, or other restrictions, that is at least $5 lower than the airfare you booked on Orbitz.com, Orbitz will refund you the difference up to a maximum of $250.00 per ticket. "

If you purchased them all yourself, you are automatically excluded from being eligible.

In addition, even if another passenger booked a lower fare, highly unlikely that it would meet all these restrictions, especially the requirement that the ticket must have been the same fare code.

What's the fare code for your tickets? I did a dummy booking for these flights and pulled up fare code NNW91BQ1 and QNW51BM1. If you were eligible for this Price Assurance, the fare codes would also have to exactly match.

But, since you were the same customer for all tickets, it's all a moot point.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 18:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

I'm interested in why the OP bought all these tickets at different dates and times - seems to me they mis-read the T&Cs and thought that when they managed to get all the tickets, they could then try and get refunds for all 16 tickets that were more expensive than the one they bought.

Sounds pretty deceitful to me....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

If the terms and conditions allowed for that I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't call the Price Assurance a scam but it's pretty close IMO as the rules are designed in such a way that it's very difficult (if not impossible) to have a legitimate claim. I wonder if Orbitz actually ever paid out anything on this policy?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

Hi,

I tend to agree with amoose99 in #2 in that the whole program may be difficult to read/understand and very limited in scope; and one might argue it's written so "tight" as to make filing a successful claim VERY limited... but... and this is the important part as I see it.. SO LONG AS a) they followed the posted rules to the "T", and b) none of the program rules violate some form of applicable consumer protection laws, then as unfortunate it may be, I'd have to say it's not a scam.

To me, in my mind, for it to be legitimately called a scam there needs to be an element of intentional fraudulent or deceptive practices.. Is the Orbitz the most user-friendly program around? Sounds like it's not.. but that, in and of itself doesn't then make it a scam..

Again, so long as all the rules were disclosed up front AND followed and none are prohibited by law, then it's not a scam-- not customer friendly perhaps so, but just doesn't rise to the level of scam.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 06 February 2012, 19:11
North Jersey
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

It does not make a difference, nor is it a "moot point," if I am the same customer because I am getting some refunds back (for 2 other people). So that shoots down that I could be the only customer purchasing. I am booking other people, not just myself 17 times. The 2nd problem is that whenever I call I get a different answer on why they can't refund the differences. If they had a standard procedure, why always a different answer?

I must be honest, I didn't know that there were 20 different fare codes.. Even if seat 24A, and seat 24B are one code compared to seat 24C... So then the "odds," of someone actually booking the same fare code are slim to none, thus they make themselves look like the great price protection travel agency when in reality, it is almost equivalent to winning a lottery ticket.... shameful to say the least.

North Jersey
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

" Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

Feb 06, 2012, 1:58 PM

I'm interested in why the OP bought all these tickets at different dates and times - seems to me they mis-read the T&Cs and thought that when they managed to get all the tickets, they could then try and get refunds for all 16 tickets that were more expensive than the one they bought.

Sounds pretty deceitful to me...."

I bought the tickets at different times and dates as people booked for the trips at different times and different dates.. is that deceitful??

10. Re: Orbitz Price Assurance is deceitful..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 August 2012, 19:35