We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

Imagine somebody did HKG-ICN-LAX on May 4, arriving at around 10am. Then their onwards flight was actually LAX-NRT-SIN which leaves in the afternoon of the same day (still May 4, actually).

What kind of questions would LAX immigration officials have to say with something like this? Is it prohibited? Is there a chance they would get turned away?

Reading
Level Contributor
288 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

If you don't mind my asking, do you actually fly anywhere or is it all based on some computer game?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,768 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

Hi,

No issues.. they only care that you are admissible at the time and place of entry..

Is it common? No.. but common or not doesn't drive admissibility...

Now, that said, from a CUSTOMS point of view (which is still the CBP) there may be some questions asked due to the unusual nature. but again, no, it's not illegal to do to the extent that, like Immigration-- everything you have on your person or possession meets all US laws at the time and place of your entry-- and that you are not in the process of the commission of a crime.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 08 February 2012, 17:01
London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

PhilReading, did I not just explain it was a mileage run?

4. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2012, 15:24
Canada
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

My husband does mileage runs through the States about once or twice a year. If you explain what you are doing the US officials are usually pretty amenable.

You'll get a C1 transit visa in your passport and thats about it. Well he did on a Canadian passport - a British passport may be different with ESTA etc...??

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

Tilly41, no my budget for that part of the world has diminished. I want to save more for my stopover in Dubai. So the mileage run is simply it for me, no more plans for visiting beaches or whatnot. I will do all of that and more in the UAE. :)

But I am still in the process of finalising a very complicated itiniery, which is around 4 weeks of flying and hotel booking. If I change one part, then inevitably the rest may need revising.

Sorry for boring you.

Reading
Level Contributor
288 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

I was struck by the "imagine" bit.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

I wish I was 'an aspiring travel journalist' - great life eh? Dubai you say, but have you not already visited during the Holy Month of Ramadan, 15th of August to be precise for 3 days? The Dubai beaches are nothing much to write home about.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,354 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

Clackers on Dubai forum not an hour since you just said you had £2000 to waste? So now you need to save money for your Dubai triip??

Good luck on your travels, wherever they may be! ;)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mileage runs and LAX immigration officials

I've just read the post,,,,,8 days plus taxi to from Abu Dhabi (note spelling for Jumeirah) food etc....2K is really not enough ....maybe Clackers just realised...