We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia to New York - November 2012

Stawell, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
67 reviews
Australia to New York - November 2012

Hi,

We are a family of 7 - 2 adults, 5 kids aged 14, 13, 11, 9, 7 at time of flying meaning we need 4 adult tickets and 3 children tickets. We are planning to fly from Melbourne to New York around 10th November 2012 and return around 21st December (throughout this period we will be hiring a car and travelling around).

My question concerns when to book our airfares - i realise airfares are a day to day proposition but any insight you can give me would be appreciated.

At the moment we can get flights through Flightcentre (a local travel centre) for around $1400 return adult fare, BUT fares for our time period are coming up at $2200. The staff at flight centre are telling me I should book now as I will not get availability of seats if I wait till later in the year - hoping for a sale.

I am not adverse to booking flights directly with companies. We have flown once before to the usa, and I booked directly with Qantas and I did book fairly early out but it was a multi city ticket which I obviously being a personalised itinerary, doesnt have sales.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

always book direct with the airline. period.

;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com to get your connections (and prices), then book directly with the airline concerned. For those dates, I can see United Airlines for about $ 1533 return (Mel -> Lax via Sydney, then Lax - Jfk)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

I would listen to Flight Centre - they are right about availability, and holiday travel can only increase in price. I don't think you'll see any sales for those dates - too many people wanting those seats to sell them at a discount.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

i wouldn't listen to flight centre. they are not known for their, what shall i call it, accurate advice in australia. and their policy of waiting for u to do your homework, advising them of what u have found and then undercutting it by a few dollars instead of having a competitive fare in ther first place really stinks imo

november is not high season for australian departures.

booking directly now for your dates with united for instance is $1650

personally i would wait a few months for a sale eg. UA, QF, VA, DL and book directly with any of them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

We have a big family too !

Because there are Seven of you I would not run the sale gauntlet as you really need to lock in 7 seats all together for the sectors you want when you want.

You may save if you wait but you may also not be able to get everything you need for 7 PAX

If you can afford the fares at least you have secured bookings and you know your budget.

So, like Clint said " You gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky"? - I left the " Punk" bit obviously !

Stawell, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

thanks so much...i have looked at the matrix link and nearly fell off my chair - i can book flights with China Eastern for $8240 FOR ALL OF US on the exact dates we want.

Bit of a novice at this - never heard of this airline - any pros/cons

Only thing I do note is long stopovers - are you allowed to leave airports during stopovers, is this recommended??

any info greatly appreciated as I am chomping at the bit to book right this minute

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

Are the stopovers in China? Because if so Australians need to apply for a visa to enter China. It would also make for a longer flight. If it is a direct flight from Australia to the US then it is a good deal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

I should add to the above info for China. According to SmartTraveller

You may need a visa to transit China if your stopover requires you to leave the airport. However, if you are staying within the confines of the airport for less than 24 hours while transiting China en route to a third country, you do not need a transit visa. You should check these requirements with the Embassy or Consulate of China for the most up to date information.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 05:17
Stawell, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

No, it is not a direct flight - flights depart Melb 12.00pm on 10th Nov, arriving Shanghai at 7.30pm - then there is a stopover of 16 hours before next flight at 11.30am on 11 November arriving jfk 1.15pm.

Return flights - depart jfk 3.35pm 21 dec arrive shanghai 7.30pm then a 24 hour vstopover before departing 8.15pm 23rd dec and arriving melbourne 10am 24 dec

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Australia to New York - November 2012

It is up to you whether you want to do it, but I can say that Chinese visas for your whole family (if you leave the airport) will be an extra expense.