We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

hopefully this isn't a duplicate - couldn't find a recent answer

trying to get to the French Caribbean - AA seems to dominate the market so I'm thinking I should try to get a cc that earns miles - AA seems to be part of the same alliance as BA and I hear that BA credit cards often have promotions - right now I have Capital One which is free but it seems to take a long time to accumulate miles - on the AA website it looked easy and flexible to redeem cc miles

Any recommendations on the best (cheapest, quickest) credit card to get AA miles?

TIA

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

Post on the flyertalk aadvantage forums for best advice and news on current offers

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

thanks - didn't know there was such a thing

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

AA's US credit card relationship is with Citibank. The current signup bonus is worth 40,000 miles, enough for a round trip in coach to the Caribbean (35K miles) or a low-season (Oct - May) round trip to Europe (40K). https:/…

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

thanks - but do you think there might be any benefit with going with a BA cc?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

BA has some good deals at times with their credit card.

Be aware that Citibank issued tax forms this year for people who received the bonus points for enrolling last year. It hit them with about $675 of additional income. While this is a silly thing for them to do, it isn't so silly for the people who have to dispute the allocated income.

Another thing to be aware of... sometimes you will find offers for more bonus enrollment miles on the airline chat sites flyertalk.com and milepoint.com (I think milepoint is the better site).

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

Citibank definitely. I've gotten thousands of miles with my Citibank debit card.

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

GeoMedic - omg, can't believe they'd do that - 1st time I'm hearing this......

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

A couple of years I picked up 100k in miles for taking the BA/Chase card. In 2010 it was 150k on the AA/Citibank. There are some decent deals just for getting the cards, using them for a few months and then dumping them.

Best to know if you're looking for a short, quick pick up in miles like those . . . or looking more for the long range earning potential. (I prefer the 2:1 Capital One cards that are not tied to any airline for my general credit card purchases.)

RE: CitiBank's issuance of IRS 1099's for miles given on promo deals (not earned through travel/purchases), there are a couple of threads here on TA/Air Travel on the recent info in the news.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

In terms of AA vs. BA . . . when I used my BA miles there were a lot of add-on fees so it wasn't totally "free" to use them. Using the AA miles has been much more reasonable from a fees perspective.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best credit card to earn miles on American Airlines?

A small quote from the points guy's website ( quite a good source of information... and well written... worth a read for sure)

thepointsguy.com/2012/…

"...Citi is only sending out 1099 forms to those who earned 25,000 miles or more by opening a checking or savings accounts, not those who have taken advantage of one of their numerous AAdvantage credit card offers, most of which far exceed 25,000 miles."

He documents the IRS response. They don't recognize points as income, nor should they as points belong to the airline or hotel program and not the flyer, and they represent the equivalent of a coupon/discount on costs.

Still, the actions of the bank make you slap your forehead.