We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

We're planning a trip for mid-June of this year from Portland, Oregon. We're still deciding where to go. We've researched airfare to various cities in Germany, Italy, Croatia, New Zealand and Barcelona. All of these destinations were priced over $1500 for one RT, (multiple stops) coach ticket. Ouch. Have airfare prices really skyrocketed that much-- or are we just considering buying too early? All suggestions welcome. We're using all the usu. sites to research prices: kayak, travelocity, etc and would like to find a flight with no more than two stops. Dates, times are flexible: +/- 3 days. Thank you!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

I started looking at airfare from the US west coast to Europe for summer 2012 in Aug 2011. The lowest price I ever saw was ~$1000, but fares this low are long gone. Average price is what you are finding, which is ~$1500.

I don't think you are buying too early, you are buying too late. Fuel prices are rising. Airlines have cut routes. You want to travel during summer vacation. High demand = high price.

Good luck!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

Prices generally start to decline in late August, and then after Labor Day, they go down again. As Gracie says, it's all about supply and demand, and I believe the dollar has risen against the Euro - even more demand. I bought my ticket to Asia 10 months in advance this year - just trying to protect myself.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

Yup, $1500 out of PDX is about the going rate I'm afraid. It was similar back in June 2008 as well. I've been looking at Asia/Europe trips for (lower season) April and they're cowing in at around $1200.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

I think everyone is aware that the airlines now must show the all-inclusive fare, that is, the fare plus all taxes. I applaud that move but it does create a bit of sticker shock when first researching flights. But yes, the costs have increased as well. I'm looking for flights to Paris in mid-Nov. Right now the fares seem high so I'm trying to figure out how long to wait...will post my question in a separate thread.

5. Re: Pricey Airfare for June 2012??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:19