We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
787 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

I assume it is as many as can fit in one zip lock bag. Am I correct?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

Yes you are correct. I've seen persons with 10 + both in the US and UK.

Edited: 18 February 2012, 00:44
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

In a quart sized bag. And, you can't take them out and drink them on the plane.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
787 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

thanks so much for the info.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

Technically you cannot serve them to yourself on the plane. It is against airline regulations, possibly federal regulations - forget which. You could give them to the flight attendant to serve them to you, but that is also going to be against company policy (they want their $$$).

Don't be obvious about it and you should be fine.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

Hi,

"Technically you cannot serve them to yourself on the plane. It is against airline regulations, possibly federal regulations - forget which."

It's codified under >Federal Law<, specifically under FAR 121.575. As such all US carriers must comply.

The leading text of .575 states in part:

"Sec. 121.575 — Alcoholic beverages.

(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."

Carriers are also required under .575 to report any violation to the FAA, or if overseas, to the regional office within five (5) days.. The FAA has the enforcement power by virtue of civil fines or in conjunction with the US Department of Justice, any criminal action they deem actionable.

FAR:

http://tinyurl.com/7gmuhxw

Travel Safe,

Edited: 18 February 2012, 03:07
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

So if i had a couple of miniture bottles of vodka in my carry on nobody would question it at security? anyone try it

US
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

I think you just don't worry about this. its not a matter of worry you can carry amount of bottles in your bag. you can enjoy in your traveling periods

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

So if i had a couple of miniture bottles of vodka in my carry on nobody would question it at security? <<<<<

It just follows the rules of liquids. You would put them in clear plastic bags with other liquids when going through security screening. Have several friends who take miniatures when travelling on the low cost and charter flights - then discreetly poured into the cola on the plane.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

I often carry 3oz bottles of vodka in my toiletries bag. I use refillable bottles from a travel kit and tape over the flip top. It's not often I find a local store at a city destination where I can buy them if I want a cocktail in my room. Easier to find mixers!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,436 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how many mini bottles can I bring on a domestic flight?

I often carry minature bottles of single malt when travelling and i now have a couple of 100ml hip flasks that i use as well, i used to take a 200ml hip flask with me but they stopped that didn't they.usually the security guys complement me on my choices.