We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France A380-800

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Air France A380-800

In checking out possibilities for my flights to Paris in November, I'm considering connecting through JFK and taking Air France's A380. I will most likely be in Economy but may spring for the Premium Economy.

Any views/opinions on this aircraft? I thought AF also flew the A380 from Dulles but I can't seem to find that - it must be seasonal like their nonstops from Orlando to CDG :-(.

My other alternative is the 777-200.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France A380-800

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'll be interested in replies to this as well - we are looking at flying the

Air France A380-800 from LAX to CDG in September (non stop)- Affaires class.

That plane looks amazing!

Malama Pono, (take care)

Janet

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France A380-800

I took it last fall JFK-CDG in economy and was a little underwhelmed - not exactly as spacious as one would think because AF really crowds in the seats. I don't think I'd go out of my way to fly the A388 again, but it is not as cramped as their 777's. The food was disappointing for a French airline, but the bubbly was nice.

Edited: 19 February 2012, 04:05
Palm Desert
Level Contributor
137 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France A380-800

My husband and I love AF. We have used skymiles and flown LAX to CDG twice in business class nonstop. Very nice. The service is good, the planes nice and the food great! We prefer AF to Delta...every plane is different though so can't speak to that.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France A380-800

I have flown both the 380 and the 777-200 in premium economy, and I didn't really see any difference between the aircraft in the PE sections. On the 380 the PE section is upstairs and a little more quiet. Economy is cramped on both, so the higher PE fare is well worth it IMO.

AF still give out printed menus, also in economy, and when I flew CDG-LAX in PE last week, the menu had Premium Economy printed on it, so it may have been upgraded from the regular economy menu. The food was quite good and the service very professional and attentive.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France A380-800

Thanks all. I'm still waiting for the fares to drop a bit but am not sure I'll go via JFK just to fly on the A380.

AF has a flight that leaves ATL at 9 pm. Since I can't get into my apartment until after 2 pm, I like the idea of a flight that leaves later in the evening to avoid the 7 am arrival then what do I do? Also, I'm hoping the later departure will be more conducive to sleep. I've never had much luck going to sleep at 8 pm body time then waking at 3-4 am body time.

I figure with the later departure, there will be time for a dinner/snack, maybe watch a movie then it's bedtime as usual around 11 pm body time. I may not get a lot of sleep but hopefully a little more than in the past. And since I"m going for a month, I'm not too worried about losing the better part of the arrival day. Just enough time to get settled, head out for some supplies and perhaps a dinner out then back to bed.

Palm Desert
Level Contributor
137 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France A380-800

I just had a friend fly through JFK on a trip to France and she said coming back into JFK was one of the worst experiences she ever had returning from Europe...and she was Business Class too. She told me to avoid JFK at all costs if flying internationally..... And Kittycatwoman...we've just about always been able to check into our apartments right away even when arriving in the morning. Even if they are still cleaning it...they will often let you drop your luggage and then come back in a little while. We ALWAYS take a 2 hour nap and then get up for the rest of the day---and are usually adjusted fairly quickly. PLUS, flying business class you get more sleep than you ever did in coach.... happy planning!!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France A380-800

Thanks kg, I've come back through JFK and it can be a zoo! However, if I decide to go via JFK, I will not come back that way -- I'll fly to Atlanta then back to Orlando.

I have not broached the subject of an early arrival at the apartment and you are right, it might be possible. But in the big picture, I think I still prefer to leave later in the day and arrive later as well.

I've done the trans-atlantic flight many times either to Europe or Africa, and I know the way my body reacts. I'm hoping that getting on a plane closer to my bedtime and hopefully the bedtime of the other passengers will mean a quieter flight after meal service is completed.

8. Re: Air France A380-800

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:42