We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Spirit Airlines

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Spirit Airlines

I made a reservation from Cheap o Air to go to the Virgin Islands. The ticket was $65 less than major airlines so I booked it. I got an e-mail that said I needed to confirm my seats so I called. I found out that you have to pay $12.95 per person for seat assignment. $35 for first checked bag and$45 for second and that was for each stop comming and going for a total of 4 stops. It gets worse. Then they told me we had to pay $30.00 per carry on each stop. The total for seat assignment and baggage was $460.00 more for 2 people. I was so angry. I told them this was a scam and that Spirit Airlines was deceiving people by saying they were less expensive when indeed it cost another whole airline ticket for my bags. BEWARE WHEN BOOKING ON LINE THAT YOU DON'T BOOK SPIRIT AIRLINES IT'S A RIP OFF!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

Did you read their site beforehand?

You do realize you don't have to check bags or get seats assigned, right?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

Very good questions OP2002.

One must really do research before going off and purchasing tickets with any and every airline... all of these fees are stated on Spirits website clearly.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

and all for a potential saving of $65.00........

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,167 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

If you did a search you could have seen all the negativity on Spirit and as posted above always check the airlines website.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

Yes I do know I don't have to check bags however, when traveling for a week it's a must. I did not read their site because when looking for the lowest airfair I didn't even realize it was Spirit. I had never heard of them before. My post is to inform unsuspecting travelers like my self to be aware. I have flown all over the world and never have I had to pay for a carry on and paying for each leg of the flight nor have I had to pay a baggage fee for each leg of a flight. I posted this on Face Book and tons of people had the same experience and said they would never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

Yes that's true however when searching the web I was looking for departure times and arrival times and price. I didn't even see spirit airlines so that is my mistake however if this helps some unsuspecting person like my self it is worth the post.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

absolutely and lesson learned,

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

When you made your booking on Cheapoair.com, did you bother to click on "baggage fees"? It's right under the itinerary after you make your flight choices. It lists the baggage rules for all airlines. It also advises you to check directly with your airline. Spirit has been charging for carry on bags for at least two years.

More information you may not have known about Spirit; they have no interline agreement with any other airline. That means if there's a problem with your flight, they won't pay to place you on another carrier.

You're stuck until there's an available seat on a Spirit flight, and they will not remove already booked passengers to accomodate you for your flight delay/cancellation. They also have a limited schedule, so if the worst happens, you could be waiting for several days to get to/from your destination.

Research is key. You can hardly blame an airline because you didn't check what their policies were in advance.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 16:10
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

Linda,

Thank you for posting this useful information. I had a vague awareness that Spirit has all kinds of hefty charges, but your post really illustrates what can happen.

I am not sure why people have to beat you up for posting this info. It sounds like you know that you should have done more checking upfront.

Sounds to me like you are just trying to help others and I appreciate you for doing that.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Spirit Airlines

And if you had booked from the airline directly, you would have likely had a better chance to see the list of extra charges. But that is water under the bridge now.

Your warning in pertinent for several reasons.

Yesterday I thought I'd check out prices for a near-term trip. I used Kayak to see if I could see any obscure paths. I noticed that they show best prices from the airlines directly, Expedia, and Cheapo. The direct from the airline prices were never higher than the 3rd party prices, and most of the time were cheaper.