We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA or Virgin?

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
BA or Virgin?

Any opinions on who its best to fly with to the USA?

Prices are similar (£800ish per person)....we've going in June, do you think the prices will come down any, or go up!?

Journey (with BA) will be

Out: MAN-LON-LAS VEGAS

Return: SAN FRAN-LON-MAN

Journey (with Virgin)

Out:MAN-LAS VEGAS

Return: SAN FRAN-LON-MAN

Thanks.........

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA or Virgin?

£800 ?!!?

If i was you, i'd wait for a sale to pop along to get a better rate than that. That's the top end of what you should be paying.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA or Virgin?

They're going in June...that doesn't seem outrageous to me

uk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA or Virgin?

Prices seems a little high, even for June but not absurdly so.

Have you checked out the US carriers that fly from Manchester. They usually come out quite a bit cheaper than BA and on the return you're home in time for breakfast rather than lunch.

Of the choice between BA and Virgin, BA every time.

uk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA or Virgin?

Yep, for random dates in June I'm seeing MAN to LAS; SFO to MAN at c£530 p/p with US and c£600 with AA via PHL and ORD respectively.

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA or Virgin?

Cool, thanks for the replies.

We really fancy trying BA (I have been to Vegas with Virgin and found it ok).

So, BA flights are £1650 for 2 (for the 1 connection flights outlined above)....does anyone think they will go down in price, or is it worth just buying now?

Out of intrest, when would have been the optimal (cheapest) time to buy these tickets?

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA or Virgin?

Hmm Geordie Engine, you've got me thinking.....a £590 saving by going with US!

Are US any good?

It for our Honeymoon you see! ;-)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA or Virgin?

I'd definitely go BA!

uk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA or Virgin?

I flew US last week Manchester to PHL with a connection to Greenville and fly BA long haul about once a month.

The US Airways product is pretty good IMO as far as EC offerings go and is pretty comparable to BA. US fly an A330-30 on this route with a 2-4-2 layout which is nice for couples IMO as you can grab two window seats on your own. Not sure what AC BA would offer.

They have seat back TVs with on demand programming and a good selection of movies, games, tv progs etc. TBH pretty similar to the BA offering although a lot of BA planes don't have on demand IFE.

You do have to purchase headsets with US while BA provide these at no extra cost. They are $5/£3 each.

US serve a hot meal after take off from Man and a sandwich before landing into PHL. Soft drinks are free but you have to purchase alcohol, again this is compulsory with BA.

Both airlines provide blankets and pillows.

As I am sure others will point out you have to collect your luggage and clear immigration and customs at your first point of entry to the US. If you flew US you would have to do this at PHL. This takes time but does save time at your final destination as all the formalities are completed.

I will add that last week the MAN flight was only the second scheduled TA flight into PHL and when I got to immigration there was next to no queue. I only had carry on and was through to the airline lounge within 20 minutes of the plane landing! I made my 80 minute connection without issue. With checked luggage it would have taken longer but still not too bad. I've never taken more than an hour to get through PHL personally.

The other good thing about flying with US is that you land at MAN in the morning and don't have a few hours to wait at LHR which isn't fun after a long flight.

Don't get me wrong if BA flew from MAN to the USA and where of a comparable price to US I would take BA, but for the savings you're looking at I would hesitate to take US.

Hope this helps.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA or Virgin?

>>Are US any good?<<

US are okay, nowhere near as good as BA. But you get in seat video, a meal on take off and a snack before landing. One nice thing about the MAN-PHL flight is that now operate that using a wide body A330, whereas AA's service MAN-ORD is on a 757.

>>It for our Honeymoon you see! ;-)<<

For the better service outbound you could take BA via Heathrow and return from SFO on AA (via ORD). That's all bookable on ba.com with the return flights using a codeshare. For random dates in June those flights are showing as £671.

Do note that with BA you have to pay for pre-seat selection (that's before online check-in at T-24:00), so if that means you do have to stop your service to do OLCI you may want to bear that in mind! :)

Congrats btw.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,199 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA or Virgin?

BA over Virgin yes indeed.