We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most financially solvent American airlines

Canada
Level Contributor
480 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Most financially solvent American airlines

We're thinking of traveling to Central or South America in December 2012, and it's likely that we'd fly with one of the American airlines. (Being Canadian, we nearly always fly with Air Canada.) If possible, I want to avoid booking with an airline that's in the poorest financial shape. Which airlines are the most stable, and least likely to declare bankruptcy?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

I wouldn't worry about booking on any of the legacy carriers.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,670 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

Neither would I....

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

Between now and December a LOT can happen... fuel prices go up etc...

Right not the only 'bankruptcy" is American Airlines. I think Delta actually made money last quarter (could be wrong on that, IMHO only a fool would buy stock in an airline so I don't follow it too closely)

But I would fly any of them.... The US goverment is letting one of the big legacy airlines shut down in an election year :)

Canada
Level Contributor
480 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

Thanks! This is really helpful. (Good point about election year!)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,265 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

American filed for bankruptcy but i would fly them in a heartbeat they still are a sound airline.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,765 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

AA is in Chapter 11 which is basically a way for the company not to pay its old debts while it restructures everything from debt to labor agreements. Operation will continue business-as-usual for quite a while. It's highly unlikely that it will go into liquidation and affect you as a traveler.

7. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2012, 22:35
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

I wouldn't fly Pet Airways.

9. Re: Most financially solvent American airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:15