We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

Last week hubby forgot to pack his Swiss Army Knife. When he 'fessed up at security in NZ expecting to say goodbye to it, he was told it was fine to take onboard as the blades did not 'lock'.

A week earlier I had a pair of nail clippers confiscated in Sydney which had previously breezed through security in NYC, Vancouver and London.

Nails scissors taken through security at SFO were later confiscated at LHR.

Is there a 'list'? Does every country make up its own rules? Every airport? Or is it at the discretion of each security screener? It would

make packing a whole lot simpler if I knew in advance what I could and couldn't pack especially since I tend to travel with carry on only. Any ideas other than to take nothing that doesn't fold?

1. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2012, 17:05
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,138 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

"Is there a 'list'? Does every country make up its own rules? "

Yes. And yes. I'm sure there is a lot of commonality between various aviation authorities, but there isn't one "yes or no" list for the whole world.

Throw in the human behavior factor, example might be: Nail files ARE allowed but one employee out of 400 doesn't know that and decides to take yours.

Then throw in the prospect that lots of possibly banned items like nail clippers and the like probably make it through all the time just because they're not seen.

In a perfect world you should be able to find a list for whatever country where you're clearing security, and pack accordingly.

Not that this would have helped your husband with the knife.:)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

For 20 years I took my cuticle clipper to mexico....never a problem - sometimes in carryon...sometimes in checked luggage.

On a trip from CUN-JFK a few years ago security confiscated my expensive nail clippers. No explanation given.

Another time in Cancun (where they do random additional checks AT THE GATE), they took money from my wallet while checking my purse. (I had in in the top part of my wallet, that was NOT a zipper or snap closure. Yes my fault, but i never saw them do it.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

I'm really dumbfounded that a swiss army knife was permitted on a flight. I mean, they don't even give you a metal butter knife with an airplane meal anymore.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,138 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

"I mean, they don't even give you a metal butter knife with an airplane meal anymore."

Well, they hardly give you a meal either, but that's another story. :)

Having said that, when I DO get a meal, it has a real metal knife.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

All my flights get metal cutlery and proper glassware.

I can "just about" understand pocket knives and scissors but I will never fathom how much damage I can do as a potential hijacker with nail clippers and tweezers.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

You could manicure them to death ;-)

Are tweezers not allowed? I always have at least two pairs with me and have never had a problem - yet.

See, I need a list!!!!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

Not only do airports vary, but it seems which security areas you are using. I've heard several reports of passengers accidentally forgetting to remove things from pockets which have happily passed through security checks without comment.

There was a topic not so long ago regarding knitting needles. Some airports allow them, others don't, some airlines allow them, others don't. Again, some airlines seem to only allow metal knives in more expensive cabins, but use either all plastic or metal except knives in coach, for example, None of this makes any sense!

As to the Swiss army knives themselves. They are freely for sale in the duty free/airside shops of most international airports in Switzerland for purchase. Go figure!

SWT

Alberta
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

Our office recently had lunch with an Olympic speedskater. it was mentioned how they are now allowed to bring their skates onboard as carryon luggage, but one of the other team members had a butter knife confiscated at security.

It makes no sense to me!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Army knife allowed onboard

on my recent ANZ flight i had metal cutlery in economy and the knife was pretty sharp

could easily take someone out with it