We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

A friend is booked on these flights in May and late June and has just heard that her flights are being withdrawn. She has phoned Airasia but did not get an answer that she could understand. There must be others in the same situation. Has anyone heard of options that are being given would be passengers, other than a credit on the flights? She has 6 other Airasia flights booked for this 2 month holiday as well as hotel accommodation and is very stressed.

Many thanks

Archi

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

No mention in the local papers. Where did she hear this?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

Thanks Jules for your reply.

The local paper in Christchurch had a report about it. She did phone Airasia but the person on the phones didn't know anything about it and said that she will be contacted. Because she has so many things booked, she is very worried.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

Hi Archi

I have not heard about NZ to KL but I know that AA is stopping KL to UK and Paris so it would be no suprise if they did stop these routes.Air Asia website is probably best for this info.

Sean

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

Oh dear. I hope the CHC papers are wrong. She might like to check this link: http://thestar.com.my/news/ .... but like all other local dailies, they're the government's voicebox.

No mention on AK's website ... but that's no surprise. They're still dealing with the LGW/ORL debacle.

As a fall-back, perhaps she might want to consider booking on a full service airline but wait till almost travel date to issue tickets? Her travel agent should be able to help ... but she can try SQ and MH. Good luck!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

I coudn't locate an Airasia report on the Star site.

Do you know what arrangements were made for those affected by the UK and Paris withdrawals?

Thanks

Archi

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

OK ! I have just found this! I guess it may work out.

tvnz.co.nz/travel-news/airasia-x-set-cancel-…

Thanks, everyone.

Archi

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

Hi I I have been following the posts re the cancelled air asia London/Paris flights, have a look on the air travel forum. Those passengers were offered a different carrier - MAS but seem to still be waiting for there actual tickets

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,762 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

It is to be hoped that AirAsia handle this cancellation of route and reallocation of flights better than the ongoing fiasco of the other routes. Signs don't look good though if AA staff don't know anything or perhaps are not allowed to comment about it.

It would appear they are in discussion with Air New Zealand about this, as yet, unconfirmed news - see stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/6540810/Penal…

Let's hope they get any arrangements fully agreed and sorted out as AA obviously did not do so with Malaysia Airlines.

Ashburton, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

Hi, yes lots of reports that they are going to pull out of Christchurch, announcment was suppose to be made last week, with all flights cancelled in th next month.

They wouldn't advertise this they if they werent 100% sure they were pulling out as no-one will now want to book.

We also have tickets with them for august plus tickets to Macau, hong kong to phuket and phuket to kl and have paid all out deposits etc for accomodation.

I have looked at forums on the process of refunds when they cancelled the paris/london flights and although they say refund/another airline/ another esination it sounds like a lot of peple haven't had a smooth process with alternate tickets only getting confirmed 30 days prior to leaving. It also says people are contacted on a first booked first contacted process and that you can't ring them and just have to wait for your individual emails.

A real panick when you only know for sure you are going 30 days out.

Also air asia have ever only flown out of chch 2 times a week and in the last couple of weeks they have increased this to 4 flights a bit strange when pulling out, unless they are trying to see what the interest is on different days of the week.

Would be good to hear from some people who had there Paris flights cancelled and see what Air Asia did to accomadate. They do fly out of Sydney (at present) and hopefully we can all get flights to there on another airline from air asia.

Trina

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
213 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airasia withdrawing Christchurch- KL-Christchurch

I was hoping that the news would not be true as I was planning to go to NZ as the next holiday destination. Saw this today :( but no mention yet in Air Asia's website:

theedgemalaysia.com/business-news/210276-air…

foxbusiness.com/news/…