We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a head cold.....

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
I have a head cold.....

....but tomorrow's flight can't be put off.

I can't clear my ears......and I'm afraid it's going to be a painful trip. I've tried sniffing eucalyptus oil, nose blowing happens regularly anyway.....any other ideas??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a head cold.....

evamelb, do you have (or can purchase quickly) one of those Vicks nasal decogestant stick thingies from the stupidmarket or chemist? That stuff goes right into your head and clean out the ears IYKWIM? I find them excellent for clearing the head and nasal and ear passages? Also try and get from your chemist a bottle of menthol stuff (can't give you a brand name I'm afraid) and pour a few drops into a bowl of boiling water, put a towel over your head, lean over it and inhale ... inhale ... inhale! Also very good for clearing the "other" stuff out of your head.

Best of luck and as that bloke from Little Britain used to say (in their newest series) "Happy Flighting".

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,206 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a head cold.....

Stop blowing your nose....your ears will clear.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a head cold.....

Hi Eva,

If I were you I'd go the pharmacy and get some real Pseudoephedrine (not that Phenylephrine stuff, it's useless), they might photocopy some ID just to be sure you're not going to use it to make speed, but I find it works pretty well for blocked ears/noses.

The other good head cold remedy I find is the Codral cold and flu tablets with night and day capsules. The day ones are blue/white, the night ones red/white. I find these work the best of all the ones out there (but you may already have your own favourites).

Australia
Level Contributor
476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a head cold.....

EARPLANES. From the chemist, they really work. I got this tip from this forum and I have about six pairs now.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a head cold.....

just hope you don't get quarantined! ;-)

Australia
Level Contributor
476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a head cold.....

Oh, yeah d d demaz... you know the rest. It has the pseudoephadrine in still, and needs the ID. You can't get the 12 hour ones only 6, but it helps

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have a head cold.....

And get a Nettie Pot... and *use* it.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have a head cold.....

A good hot curry / other spicy dish will sort you out!

Rosetown, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have a head cold.....

Have you tried nose drops or spray ? Should help....pharmacist highly recommends :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have a head cold.....

Thank you all for your suggestions.

When Geomedic suggested the Neti pot I'd never heard of it. Fearing it may be something like a large bucket I was required to wear on my head I Googled it. It's so much worse!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

Fortunately my problem isn't sinus related and is only in my ears.

Off to buy drugs now according to all suggestions.

I'll investigate earplanes too.

And in case the drugs don't work, it's definitely curry for lunch. Scots_Al do you recommend Thai or Indian :-)

Wish me luck and a pain free journey.