We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No inflight entertainment or reading light

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
No inflight entertainment or reading light

Recently I flew from Bangkok to LHR on BA

It was a nightlight.

Both, my seat and my wife's seat had no inflight entertainment for the entire flight

Also no reading light for both seats

We were sitting in the row of just two seats at the back of the 747

Attempts to fix it failed , apologies given by staff but we couldn't be reseated as aircraft was full.

I have just been sent two £30 vouchers to be used against future flights.

I don't think that this is acceptable

As anyone had a similar experience and what was the outcome please?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

they really dont have to do anything. they tried to fix it but couldn't.

they apologized

but they got u from a to b which is the main thing

accept the vouchers and move on.

this type of 'failure'' is not uncommon.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

Leuca,

Not much you can do about it. The contract you both (the airline and you) are into is about transporting you safely from A to B. Full stop... So the airline made a commercial gesture, in cash (it is often in miles). But that's it. FYI some well known airlines are not offering any personal in flight entertainment, like for instance Lufthansa on some aircrafts...

If this is not a good enough reply, why don't you "ask Alex" http://www.businesstraveller.com/ask-alex

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

Fair does

Thanks for your speedy replies

If it ain't gonna change your life then don't let it

Time to move on then

Thanks and Good Luck

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

To be honest, I think a £30 voucher is a bit cheap though it's hard to put a value on these sort of things. Some passengers might not care all that much, for others it's a great inconvenience. If you feel very strongly about it, you could tell BA that you are not happy with compensation offered and you might get a bit more.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

The reason that I am unhappy with the voucher is that after spending several thousand pounds on flights in jut a few weeks, I am now being invited to spend several hundred pounds more in order to fulfill the offer of 'compensation'

Yes it does seem a bit cheap and I think that they re really doing this in the knowledge or expectation that many won't book flights again, but if they do they still gain hundreds of pounds.win win for them

Might just write and express my dissatisfaction and see how it goes then,

And yes it wasn't great sitting in the darkness as the lights were dimmed for most of the flight and we were unable to read or watch a film to pass the time.

Thank you

Edited: 18 March 2012, 21:16
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

If you're a member of their FF program offer to return the vouchers in exchange for some extra miles into your account.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

Hi,

I tend to agree with Lex..

I note that as is customary, there's two ways to see this... a) What are they required to do, or what is your *rights* in the matter, and b) What can you reasonably expect as an outcome.

As to part "a", as I know it, you really don't have any contractual or regulations you can fall back on to *require* BA to compensate you for this issue.. So, you are pretty much asking for discretionary compensation-- and to that end, BA can do pretty much as they like-- from nothing, all the way up to free first class tickets.. it's purely their call.

Having spent a little time working in my airlines Customer Relations department (essentially complains) I will tell you that most carriers use a matrix-- with an "X" and "Y: axis to determine what you get...

On one axis is your status/ticket level/FFP level.. The higher fare base tickets are high up the axis, as is elite passengers of their FFP and so on.. Conversely, lower fare class tickets and non-elites are on the lower end of the axis.

On the second axis is a long, long list of "issues" such as: no/missing meal, seat functionality, controllable connection delay, spills, etc, etc. Pretty much the most common issues are listed.

So, what the agent does is simply fund your place on the status axis, then read down until your issue is found, and that there tells him/her what you;ll get.

While I tend not to like this solution as (IMHO) it takes away an agents ability to make a free, educated and personalized decision, to be fair, it also allows the carrier to control (cost control) their compensation and I think more importantly, allows them to have amount of consistency in terms of how they compensate people.

At this point, I think your best-- and perhaps only recourse-- is to send a politely worded email back to BA, thanking them for the offer, but *asking* for re-consideration..

When you do that, you must also enclose or address exactly *why* you feel you are entitled to more. Things like, "I needed to get some work done but couldn't due to no lights".. etc..

While this is no guarantee, I think that it is really your best shot.. Also as noted, if you're willing to accept miles/points in lieu of a credit voucher, say that.. to an airline miles/points 'cost' them far less than a credit voucher, so that solution many yield a more positive reply.

Best of luck.

Travel Safe,

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

I think I'd have taken my book/newspaper/magazine to the busiest area of the galley and said "since I can't read in my seat, I'll read here"

However, since I take my iPod and iPad onto fights (fully charged), I'm not therefore at the mercy of erratic electronics.

Edited: 18 March 2012, 22:35
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

GOPBI

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this comprehensive response.

whilst I might not get any further compensation I am now much better informed.

BTW we had a wonderful enjoyable time in Bangkok

Thanks again

Vegas fan

Thanks for your advice

Edited: 18 March 2012, 22:39
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No inflight entertainment or reading light

Was rather flippant, I know, but GOPBI, as always knows what happens "behind the scenes". Glad you had a good time and didn't let it spoil your trip.

It's hard not to have an enjoyable time in Bangkok!

I always make sure I have alternative entertainment available, or if not, I just sleep (but I'm lucky in that I can sleep anywhere).