We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Bear with me because this may be a bit of an unusual situation. My wife and I have credit card points which we would like to use on a European trip. The first stop is Dublin. We will be traveling from MSP through Amsterdam to get there. The return flight leaves from Dublin, connects in Amsterdam to return to MSP. We are thinking of possibly spending time in Belgium. What would happen if we just went from Belgium to Amsterdam (The credit card points require we make a round trip to a European city from MSP) and didn't use the tickets for the first leg of the trip home? I know airlines don't like this sort of thing, but what are the possible problems we might face?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Not so unusual. People ask all the time if they can skip legs of their flights.

You must take all the legs of your flight in order. Skip one and the rest will be cancelled. Then your problem will be that you will need to purchase new tickets to get home.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 20:39
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Here's a thread asking the same thing, right on the front page of this forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5269111…

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Could you not fly round-trip in and out of Amsterdam, perhaps finding a LCC to go from Amsterdam to Dublin and then Dublin to Brussels?

As previously said, if you skip the first leg, the second one will be cancelled.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

That said, if your ticket allows a stop in AMS, you could go to Belgium back and froth from there (flying or train or car rental - distance is slightly more than 100 miles).

You might want also to consider, if possible, to fly over the Pound to Dublin. The advantage would be on the way back as US immigration would take place in Dublin. So you would land in the USA as domestic travellers.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
334 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

I'm guessing these are KLM flights if they are via Amsterdam...

Have you already booked the flights? And, if not, must you return from the same European airport? Again, if not, you may be able to book MSP-DUB and then BRU-MSP with your points, traveling from DUB to BRU on your own.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Thanks for your help. I'm not a frequent visitor to this forum, and I appreciate your advice. I've not booked the flights as yet. My best bet may be to book round trip from MSP to Amsterdam and get from Amsterdam to Dublin and the rest of it on my own. That will take some reseach and planning. Thanks again.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,352 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

If you were to book MSP to Dublin as your round trip, would the ticket allow 'break of journey' in Amsterdam for a few days on either the outward or return leg?

If so, it would be easy to get from Amsterdam (Schipol) Airport to Belgium and back by train; there are regular hourly services direct from the Airport to Antwerpen and Brussel, with connections to other destinations, and most trains in Belgium and the Netherlands do not need to be booked in advance.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Can you book an open-jaw? In other words, MSP-DUB and AMS-MSP. If, as you say, the only restriction on the points is that you fly from MSP to and from Europe, that should be possible.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Going through Amsterdam in both directions, these do sound like KLM flights. Have you looked at options out of MSP using their partner airlines such as DL or AF.

As suggested by others, an open jaw might be your best bet. I would suggest flying into AMS or BRU and doing that portion of the trip first. You could then take a LCC to Dublin for that portion of your trip.

The advantage to this is that Dublin has a prescreening facility for US customs and immigration. If you're on a direct flight from Dublin to the US, you would clear US customs and immigration in Dublin and avoid the hassle of having to do it at MSP.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection question regarding Amsterdam

Points trips often allow for stopovers. Check into the details before buying the side trip ticket. There are express trains to Antwerp and Brussels at fairly high frequency that stop at the AMS station (immediately under the main arrivals hall). At Antwerp you can connect to Bruges or wherever. Time to Antwerp is about 2:30. Purchase your train ticket ahead of time to save money.