We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing names?

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Changing names?

I think I asked this before, but cannot find it on my previous forum postings .....!

I've booked my holiday, tickets etc in my current name (maiden name). I am getting married 2 days before my holiday and will then take my husbands name. I won't have changed my travel documents etc into my new name so will be travelling in my current name.

Now I realise this is ok, I think, but when does your name effectively change? Is it when you sign the wedding register? Or when you go and change your documents?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,944 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing names?

When you change the documents, i.e. apply for a new passport in your married name, change your bank accounts, inform inland revenue etc.

Just getting married does nothing to your actual name, you can use your original name for as long as you like.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing names?

Note: the above is in the UK. IN the US, your name may legally change when you get married. When you fill out your marriage license and indicate what your name will be, after the marriage that is a legal change. ( BUT many still travel with their maiden name--because their documents have not yet been changed.)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing names?

It doesn't really matter what's on your marriage license. The name on your ticket has to match what's on the government ID you use to travel (IE; passport, drivers license, etc).

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,204 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing names?

In the UK you can call yourself anything you like so long as you don't deceive or defraud anyone. There is no legal proceedure to follow in order to change your name. Although there are proceedure you can follow to prove a name change, one of these will be your marriage certificate. So after your marriage you can adopt your husbands name or keep your own name.

So long as your ticket matches your passport there will be no problem.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing names?

Your name doesn't change it's just normal to start using your husbands name and when it comes to bank and passport you will need to show marriage cert to prove it, it costs a lot of money to change passport so although I've changed everything else the passport -and thus any plane tickets-will be in my maiden name until it runs out.

A lot of my female friends have not been bothered to change their name at all after marriage and they seem quite happy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing names?

Yep, it's completely your choice, change when you please or not at all. There is no legal requirement for you to change your name on marriage in the uk, it's personal choice, but as everyone else said, the docs must match,

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing names?

It's the same in the U.S. The name doesn't officially change until you change it on official documents -- like social security card. You can't file even taxes (or work) under your married name until you have changed the name with the Social Security Administration -- but you are free to use the married name socially.

It could be confusing, though -- if you forget & book air tickets under the married name -- which doesn't match unchanged IDs! That could really mess up your trip!

Edited: 27 March 2012, 01:19
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing names?

Excellent. Thank you everyone. I wasn't sure when it would be 'official' with a name change. So for now I will continue with my maiden name for the time being after the wedding .... have about 2 years left on the passport still ......

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing names?

I may need to give my seat on. Plane ticket to someone else I can't travel what fee would this incur wt are lingus it a dub to us flight

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing names?

One thing though, bionicgrasshopper. If you are travelling to a Muslim country, you might want to have a copy of your wedding certificate to prove you are married since different names could be an issue if you want to share a room (which I presume you'd like to do!).