We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Theft estimate at 200 bags per day:

…cbslocal.com/2012/…

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Of course no one should have things stolen out of their bags, but who carries $160,000 worth of jewelry in checked luggage? I don't even own $160,000 worth of jewelry, and everything I take with me on a trip wouldn't be worth that much. (Not even close...)

I feel sorry for whoever steals my stuff, since they won't get anything worth much.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

I actually thought the same, why on earth would anyone check in their jewellery let alone $160,000 worth ! I don't bother taking any nice shoes or handbags with me these days, but when I did they came in my hand luggage!

Debs

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Kind of interesting that the sources of this "exclusive" story are the lawyers and legal consultants filling the law suits ... as if their version isn't going to be exaggerated.

Not one mention of the other airport(s) that the jewelry lady traveled through, since it would seem they haven't caught the thief, how do they know for sure which airport the theft occurred at?

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Is there any actual proof the jewellery was in her luggage to start with?

Deb

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,734 posts
1,027 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

According to Wikipedia, JFK handled about 46,500,000 passengers per year in 2010 = an average of about 127,400 per day.

Alledgedly 200 pieces of luggage "get stolen" everyday. That's about 0.0015 .

From the article: “What we’re seeing out there is that really anything that isn’t nailed down is being stolen and for that matter I would caution, some day, if there weren’t tires missing from an aircraft,” Shea said."

What a ridiculous overstatement! Guess he got his 15 seconds of fame, though.

I agree who in their right mind would check all that jewelry. If she did. It could be a set up to get the insurance money, *and* keep the jewelry, of course . . .

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Can't see any insurance company paying out on that surely its negligent of the policy holder to do something so stupid? unless there is a stupidity get out clause in policy .

Deb

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

As usual, the media gets it wrong. It was not checked baggage, but a carry on that was oversized and she was forced to gate check. However in an attempt to keep the carry on from being gate checked, she told the gate agent (and anyone within earshot) that she had over a $100,000.00 worth of jewelry in the case. Talk about putting a target on your bag.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,734 posts
1,027 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

Even more unbelievable! Maybe she should have stuffed everything in her pockets LOL.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

This was the 2nd or 3d scandal at JFK baggage

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,546 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK Airport Baggage Scandal

She didn't mention the Picasso that was also in her carry on?????