We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Topic
What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

Just checking to see if I'm missing some options. We've been flying AA to Hawaii in Jan. - Feb. for years, buying coach and using miles to upgrade to first.

First they dropped the nonstop to OGG. Then they dropped the nonstop return to ORD from HNL after mid-January. Now we can fly nonstop ORD-HNL outbound and hop to OGG, but we have to go OGG-DFW-ORD on the return.

Is the *best* I can do? I want only 767's or 330's on one long leg, especially on the return. And I do want one long leg on the return, no midnights in a west coast airport, waiting for a connecting flight.

Is there another mainland connection point better than DFW?

Is buying coach and using miles to upgrade my only option for flying first for less than a first class ticket?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

Are you sure the non-stop return is gone every day of the week? It would be odd to have a non-stop flight only in one direction, especially making the west bound flight connect as it will use less fuel due to tailwinds. Check for the return on a different day of the week.

Using miles for upgrades usually requires buying a full fare coach ticket, which can be very expensive. There is also no guarantee there will be upgradable seats up front.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

Picking a couple of random dates (Dpt Jan 15-Rtrn Jan 31) on the AA sites, I'm finding flights to/from ORD with 1 connection at DFW. The DFW/HNL legs are non-stop in both directions. I'm also finding flights on the same dates to/from OGG. The other connexting airport AA is using for this itinerary appears to be LAX.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

Sorry, I forgot to check back here after posting.

AA's nonstops between ORD and HNL cease around Jan. 10 and pick up again for the summer vacation crowd. That's why we have to come home via DFW. I'm guessing the early January flights are to bring passengers 'home' from Hawaii after Christmas/New Years holidays.

Anyway, it looks like this is my only option if I want to avoid 757's and west coast connections: Outbound early January - ORD-HNL and hop to OGG; Return late February - OGG-DFW-ORD. (Or, via DFW both ways.)

Is there another 'cheap' option to fly first other than buying coach and using miles for upgrade? There seem to be so many different classes of tickets. What is an 'instant upgrade' ticket?

Edited: 14 April 2012, 15:06
seattle
Level Contributor
685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

As a comparison, United has nonstop ORD-HNL-ORD on a 777 for that period 2013.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

What is an 'instant upgrade' ticket?

flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1110…

6. Re: What are my options ORD-OGG-ORD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:42