We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

45 minute International Connection at Newark

San Francisco
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
45 minute International Connection at Newark

I'm flying from SFO overseas and have a connection in Newark. 45 minutes to go from domestic to international terminal. Does that scare anyone else? Do I have to go through security again or just customs?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

Your post is confusing.

Are you flying SFO-EWR and then on to somewhere internationally?

If so you don't clear anything at EWR. You'll just go from one gate to another.

Immigration and customs are only required when you are entering the US, not leaving it.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

Correct. When leaving the country it doesn't matter to a large extent if it's domestic or international. The way you titled the thread makes it look like you're clearing customs or something.

You'll more than likely have to show your passport at SFO before they give you a boarding pass for your flight to...wherever it is.

And you'll probably have to show your passport again at the gate for your flight to...wherever it is.

Having said all that, I would not take a 45 minute connection for any flight anywhere unless I had either a couple of back-up flights, or if I don't really care about getting where I'm going on time...or both. :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

Sounds very very tight. Are you on one ticket or two? On one the airline will take responsibility. ON two--you will need to pick up and recheck your luggage. How early does the airline for the international flight tell you to be at the airport? This is important ( especially if you are on two separate tickets! ).

Yesterday there was wind in the Greater NY area. All 3 airports ( EWR, JFK and LGA were experiencing two hour arrival delays! ) I don't want to scare you but if you can rebook one of the legs--that would be great.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

You don't go through customs until you come back into the USA.

45min. connections are toooooo short!

I am having with the idea of booking a connection that is 1 hr.10min. sooo I'd NEVER consider one of only 45min.!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

If its different terminals, its very close. and if your SFO-EWR flight is late you definitely wont make it. I cant believe that's a legal connection.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,367 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

I thought for International flights they can release your seat if you are not at the gate 30 minutes before flight time.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

45 minutes is NOT 45 minutes. The wheels usually touch the ground at arrival time. Then the taxi to the gate, & deplane. Now you have about 30 to 35 minutes, and guess what? Your plane will board about 30 minutes before departure.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

Plenty of airports allow for connections of less than an hour. If most people didn't make them, they wouldn't be offered.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

If you have to change terminals or if your arriving flight is not early and your departing flight is not delayed, you will NEVER make it. I use Newark regularly, trust me on this one.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 00:13
10. Re: 45 minute International Connection at Newark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 10:20