We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst flight ever

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Worst flight ever

I flew from SFO to GDL on United Airlines on the redeye on Sunday AM. It was the worst flight I've ever had. I had a wheelchair to get to the plane, then walked to my seat. I was in an aisle seat beside 2 obese men who spilled over into my seat. Seats were extremely small and rows were close together. The FAs were rude and surly, wouldn't let me change seats despite letting someone else change. LCC service (charged for food, pay video with DirectTV) with full-service fare. In the future I will avoid United if at all possible.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst flight ever

Sorry to hear you had a bad flight, but the seats and rows didn't suddenly get smaller and closer together for your flight - they're always that way. It's called "coach" or "economy".

You can always get bigger seats by paying for the next class up, otherwise it's jus the luck of the draw re: the size of the people next to you.

And see the "is it rude not to change seats" thread on this forum for all sorts of reasons why seat changes aren't something which people hsould automatically expect.

From what I see on this forum (and I fly BA/AA almost always) United Airlines gets pretty good reviews.

Maybe you'll get lucky next time witih an upgrade.

uk
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst flight ever

Seat pitch, on board service (pay food) are all pretty standard and you'll not find any much difference in this respect with other carriers in the same class.

Additionally airlines are pretty clear about what they offer in this respect so I'm struggling to understand why you were surprised by this.

As far as your fellow passengers, as already mentioned there is a certain amount of luck involved.

As for not being 'allowed' to switch seats, if the plane was not full (in your class), I agree it's a poor show that you weren't able to move seats. That being said I'm sure nobody would have said anything if you'd just changed seats yourself after take off into a free seat. I see this happen all the time tbh. If the plane was full I struggle to understand how you could have been moved.

Sorry you had an unpleasant flight but really the exact same could have happened on any carrier and avoiding UA isn't really the solution.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst flight ever

The fact that OP was a 'special needs' (wheelchair) pax may have had something to do with not being able to change seats. I'm still trying to get my head around how TWO other passengers overflowed into his/her seat.......

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,917 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst flight ever

^^ Conjoined twins, perhaps?

(gets coat)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst flight ever

I have to say I've spoken to a few people and most of them have said United Airlines is pretty average, if not unimpressive. Perhaps that's why they have so many special price airfares going between USA and Australia at the moment.....

I wouldn't expect you'd have to pay for food on United Airlines though?!?!

Oh well, better luck next time perhaps! Thanks for letting us know.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst flight ever

well,u haven't talked to me, robol.

i fly them across the pacific on a regular basis and find nothing to complain about.

please direct me to the ALL the 'special fares' currently available.....haven't seen them.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,523 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst flight ever

<<<please direct me to the ALL the 'special fares' currently available.....haven't seen them.>>.

Yes please me too!!

And Robol bear in mind the OP was on a flight fron SFO to GDL Mexico - NOT across the Pacific. We didnt get any food etc on our flight from LAX to Mexico either - but I'm pretty sure its full srevice across the Pacific. Have flown United a couple of times. IMO they are no better and no worse than any other USA based airline.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst flight ever

"I'm still trying to get my head around how TWO other passengers overflowed into his/her seat......."

Agreed... especially as they were in an aisle seat. Obese people have to travel as well, whether we like it or not.I too wouldn't be happy with overflowing neighbours but there isn't much you can do about it apart from switching seats if something else is available.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst flight ever

Or getting off.If I pay for a seat,that is what I want,not half a seat.If United or any other airline is unable to provide what I pay for,then I want out.

I feel sorry for the passengers of size as the airlines like to call them,but they can always buy 2 seats,and not try to borrow half of mine.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,523 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worst flight ever

Ah -sooooo you would demand to get off and hold up a whole plane full of people while they unloaded your luggage? Nice!!!!!