We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - Is it that bad?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair - Is it that bad?

We will take a very short trip, flew 5 years ago without any bad memories, but hear that they really nickel and dime you. We have prepaid for luggage - are there any other caveats? Sorry for sounding nagative, but I just don't want to be left at the terminal - thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,335 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

Lights blue touch paper and waits for exposion of love and hate opinions LOL

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

I had to look up that expression. I just know that this airline is "different" different from when I last flew and different from the legacy carriers, so am seeking advice.

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
607 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

Make sure you check in on line and don't exceed luggage weights and dimensions and you should be ok.

Airline of last resort. Don't expect to enjoy the experience.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

There are no caveats.You follow the rules (just as you do with other airlines) and you'll be fine on a short flight.

The plane is not as comfortable because for example there are no seat pockets which can be annoying. But if they are cheapest I'd use them.

They have good on time record, which I think is important.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

........and don't expect priority boarding at overseas airports, even when you have paid for it and have good reason to request it..

Sometimes, you are paying to be first on the bus and then have to run the gauntlet with everyone else at the boarding.

They don't tell you whilst you are handing over the cash. :O(

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

"There are no caveats.You follow the rules (just as you do with other airlines)"

Not "just as you do with other airlines". Some rules are different, and some are more strictly enforced. Do not expect any of the leeway for a few ounces that you might get on other airlines. And as you realise, Ryanair will change the rules from time to time.

One thing that will have changed since you last flew is that, (assuming you are a non-EU passport holder) you will need to have your boarding pass "Visa checked" at one of the desks - even if you don't need a visa/

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

<< We will take a very short trip >>

From where to where if I may ask ? Its not that uncommon for Ryanair flights to use airports many miles from the cities or destinations they purport to serve.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

Krakow to Budapest

Harlan, Kentucky
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

I won't bore you with my horror story, but after spending a very long time in Paris BVA (thank you, Ryanair) we decided we would never, ever fly with them again. I'd have a stinkin' yard sale, if I had to, to get the cash to go with another carrier. Every aspect of our experience, from start to finish, was miserable. Customer service was non-existant. We were delayed for hours and hours and hours without a word of explanation. Employees literally dodged customers to avoid answering questions. When, at last, I showed them the EU article thing that said they had to at least feed us and give us phone calls they basically laughed at me.

When we finally DID get on a plane... the pilot told us the delay was because a malfunction with the plane. They'd had to return to Ciampino, but now they "thought" everything was alright.

We were just praying to get to Rome in one piece. :(

ETA: Not to get ranty, but Bluebreezer makes an excellent point. The airport in Paris, BVA, was an hour outside of the city. And, to be honest, it was kind of awful. Before security seemed 'okay' and there was at least a Paul's, but once you went through security it was like a huge hangar with a handful of chairs for hundreds of passengers, and a crappy little place to buy snacks. I know you aren't going to Paris, but my point is... you might expect a sub-par airport experience, too. BVA certainly sucked.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 01:13
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair - Is it that bad?

Kracow is a cramped airport. Have you thought about a train?

No luggage restrictions...