We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Topic
Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Just got back from a lovely holiday in Dubai. Here is a review of the airline that I used, in my experience.

Firstly, for Royal Brunei, lets start of with the seats. The seats, in economy are average but arent very big, I found it very hard to get into a comfortable position in the small space given, I was, at a time, so uncomfortable, I had to go for a walk every 20 minutes...

Next, there is the food, im not sure who provides it but I don't care...:) The food on the flight there was a chicken and potato main course, with a side of salad, which, upon looknig around me, no one had consumed. And a desert of whipper cream. The food was all together nice but could have done with some changes, like: No having the salad, a better dessert and they could have served it at a better time too, it was served 2 hours into a 7-8 hour flight. On the return flight, which was a night flight we were served something that resembled a breakfast. I chose (on this flight we were given a choice, unlike the first) the scrambled egg breakfast. The eggs didn't look very appealing to me, but I gave them a try and they weren't "all that". I was also served a salad, which again, upon looking around, no one consumed. And also a croissant which was nice, but plain. And for desert a Strawberry Yoghurt which was good...

Next, there is staff. The cabin crew were kind, pleasant and proffesinal at all times. Whenever I asked them for things they done them, very quickly. The uniform they were is attractive and looks quite modern, it looks tradionally "arabic/asia".

Next, is the amount of luggage that one is allowed to take. The limit is 20kg, for economy per person, which, for cheap tickets like the ones I got, is a very good deal. Supposing there was 4 of us, we were allowed 80kg (I can do maths), although we only needed 2 suitcases, however, one did peak at 21.5kg but we were given the "nod".

The inflight entertainment, in my opinion is a let down. For a non-british/english airline, the english channels/movies supplied was great. However, i looked around me, and 3 tv's of other passengers seats were not functioning propely. The system to get around, e.g: The remote, is a nightmare. The rewind,pause,stop,forward system is really slow...and tedious, I had to rewind one of my movies 3 times because it went back to the beginning for some daft reason.

Overall, fo the 4 of us, for direct flight we paid around £1400, which is a great prioce for such a brilliant airline. The planes, as some say are "old" but they dont seem it, the tvs could do with some sprucing up, as with the sweats, but the experience is good and so is the airline all together.

Not sure if this review was helpful, but I thought I'd give my own personal experience and view of the airline, only because I have asked so much about this holiday on this forum and received so many great answers.

Raheem

121 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Thanks for the review.

I have considering using them for my Melbourne to Manila trips via Brunei as they have some great deals.

Tommo

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Hi Tommo,

If I am confusing you with another poster, I do apologise, but if I'm not mistaken, you travel frequently to MNL with AirAsia? If so, you will find Royal Brunei much more pleasant, and BWN a more pleasant airport to transit through.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

bimdonesia

Yes you have the right person. Good memory.Usually do my travels on AA due to price and we actually enjoy having a stopover in KL.

Tommo

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

KL's a great stopover city. I fly MAS a lot and consequently seem to be always stopping over there. Bandar Seri Begawan is very quiet in comparison but still an interesting stopover. There's always a cheap AirAsia ticket to KL from BSB if you want to savour KL and fly BI :)

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

thanks to all that have flown Royal Brunei for their reviews. This will be my first time flying with this airline to Dubai and one question I have is about carry on/hand baggage policy. I've looked at the airline website and they somehow distinguish between Cabin Baggage vs Hand Baggage....isn't this really the same thing? Anyways, are you allowed one wheelie bag + purse ? And what are the dimensions for the wheelie?

thank you in advance

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

bruneiair.com/australia/…

sizes and pictures for cabin baggage

"Hand baggage policy" is applicable only in Malaysia according to their website see first line of the web page for hand baggage

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

LondonKs I believe on their website you would refer to the "cabbing baggage" information. The "hand baggage" section refers only in malaysia.

They allow a standard wheelie to be brought on, not exceeding 45inches overall in dimension.

I just flew with Royal Brunei a few days ago, flying London to Melbourne, transiting Dubai and Brunei.

My experience overall was positive, I have flown extensively with other carriers on this route - Singapore, Qantas, British Airways and even Air Asia many years ago.

When comparing the value and experience of flying with Royal Brunei vs others, it offers good value, it helps they were £200 cheaper than the next closest priced ticket.

I was worried about weight allowance before flying, I flew economy which has a 20kg limit and 7 kg cabin limit.

We brought 21.8 & 23.5 kg checked luggage and was processed with no questions asked. We had a lot of cabin luggage as well, 9kg & 6kg as well as camera bag 4kg and handbag with laptop, iPad, so another 4 kg. These were not weighed, upon checking in, the attendant just asked what hand luggage we had and saw it was not too much and wished us a safe flight.

I did some additional shopping so had 2 additional carrier bags upon boarding and do we were loaded up, but they were not concerned when we went through the gates.

The flight attendants were really kind and helped to lift my hand luggage into the lockers, even though my husband was right behind me.

I'd like to give a full review of the flight, given I've read some negative ones. If you chose to fly Royal Brunei, you have to be aware of a few things, They are a dry airline, thus no alcohol, the flight from London to Melbourne has 2 transit points.

I was fully aware of this when I booked, the information is all there for you, I looked on their own site as well as other booking sites which I eventually booked through.

Those that complain about no alcohol, you can take the extra £200 saving and have a big drink up session another day!

It doesn't bother me they don't serve alcohol, they regularly came through the cabin serving water & juices - mango, apple, orange.

I generally like to fly overnight and sleep through and have 1 transit, but their flight leaves London at 10.10am, which was still fine after touching down on the other end.

These days with the increase of DVT, it was a welcome to have 2 stops, to get up and stretch our legs. The first stop in Dubai was only 30 mins, we got off and walked to our gate and got back on pretty quick. I was surprised with Dubai airport, being the first time through I was expecting it to be quite flashy and it wasn't. The gate we had to go to was far from the shops, so I can't comment on how the shops were. They cleaned up the whole plane, everything tidied up which was nice.

Alot of people left our flight here and the next leg we has an empty seat so we were able to stretch out and sleep. There were a lot of other empty seats which others also stretched out onto.

The next transit in Bandar was approx an hour and a half. It's a small airport with nothing much here, a Coffee and Bean coffee shop if you want a drink. There is a change of plane here, so all hand luggage is required to go through security, which they do as you enter the holding gate area.

The food was fine, 2 choices available, on the 3 legs chicken was in one of the meals. We got given icecream for dessert on the Dubai leg. I've never had that served before and it was a nice treat, because it was yummy!

Seats have a good 32inch pinch, my 6ft husband faired well. The seats and decor quality are a little old, as these 777-200 planes are leased from Singapore Airlines.

Toilets were cleaned regularly by the attendants, which was lovely not to have to go to ones strewn with toilet paper litter or wet floors.

All in all a positive experience and good value for money.

My final words would be, if you expect everything to be immaculate then go pay those extra £$ and fly with another airline, but for good service, good value, the Roal Brunei aren't bad.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Thanks for the few reviews here, great to know.

I am travelling LHR to Melbourne in December. RB was around £600 cheaper than BA / Qantas and about £250 cheaper than Emirates. Given there are two of us travelling thats £500 which is a fair bit.

Having never travelled RB before I did have a few questions. These are really NOT important, just for my interest in case anyone knows :

- What soft drinks do they serve? Coke? Coke Zero? Pepsi etc?

- Is it true that no one takes wine / spirits on board? Given all the international fligths I have taken, I would be surprised if no one wanted a wine with their dinner!

- Can you take and liquids on board at Brunei airport? I believe not, due to australian govt restrictions, but wanted to check

- I assume that when checking in at LHR that your bag it checked all the way through to Melb? I.e. you don't have to collect it and re-check it?

- Is it true that they offer no snacks at all apart from the one meal per leg? Hmmm.....might have to bring my own

- Is the check in to drop of bags at LHR still 1-2 hours long?

Thanks for any advise....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

They serve the regular suspects-- soft drinks (sorry, coke and pepsi is all the same to me), fruit juices, coffee, tea, water, etc.

I've never seen anyone drink their own alcohol on board. Of course I've seen people bringing duty free purchases onboard, but never any alcohol being consumed. However, I've heard they oblige pax who want to drink their own.

Snacks are available, don't worry. They are very obliging.

If your ticket is all the way through to MEL, you won't need to re-check in bags.

Not sure about the liquids into Australia-- hope someone else can help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Thanks for the quick response. Funny about the alcohol. Given most international flights seem to be a race for who can drink the most free wine / beer it will be an interesting expereince to have none on board.

Great news on the snacks. Many people have posted there are drinks only....

Thanks again.....

Reply to: Royal Brunei Airlines Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted