We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair..reducing costs!

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair..reducing costs!

Always one to reduce costs, Ryanair are implementing cost saving initiatives. With the rising cost of fuel the airline has found ways of reducing the fuel bill by reducing the weight it carries on its flights. They will be shrinking the size of its in-flight magazines from A4 to A5 size, carrying less ice on flights and believe it or not, "encouraging" staff to watch their weight - with the motivation of appearing in the annual Ryanair calendar!

But Ryanair are only following in the foot steps of other airlines ... In the 1980's, American Airlines claimed that they saved $40,000 by taking out one olive from every salad in first class and more recently, Japanese airline All Nippon Airways started asking passengers to go to the toilet before boarding in a bid to reduce carbon emissions! Without fuel you cannot fly, but I think that's taking things a step too far !

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Hi,

I think you might be thinking about A6 which appears to be half the size of A4, not A5...

Excerpt:

A Series Format:

4 210 × 297 8.3 × 11.7

5 148 × 210 5.8 × 8.3

6 105 × 148 4.1 × 5.8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5_paper_size

Travel Safe,

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

hi again,i think you'll find your mistaken. A5 is half A4,A6 is half of A5...let me make it simple for you...get a sheet of A4 paper and fold it in half....voila...A5....after 30 years in printing,i should know!!!.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

GOPBI,

A5 is half the size (area) of A4.

Frankly, who actually reads the magazines anyway (at least cover to cover)? Not only could airlines halve the size (A4->A5) that way, they could cut out most of the articles.

That would of course just leave the food options, spider map, message from the CEO and dozens of advertisements for expensive plastic surgeons that most us in economy couldn't afford, or wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 12:08
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

agreed, the last flight i was on,there was only one magazine to each row of seats,not one behind each seat..i'm sure the airlines are ahead of the game where it comes to saving weight therefore saving money.....or maybe not,theres always room for improvement.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 12:16
Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

As another with 25 years in printing, A5 is half A4, 297 divide by 2 is 148.5, hence the 210 x 148, A4 is half A3 etc. And I always go to the loo before I fly, just doing my bit.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

I can understand smaller brochures as I doubt anyone would bother what size they are but asking staff to watch their weight is a bit cheeky.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

As I read it, they're not asking staff to watch their weight. They're publishing an annual swimsuit calendar and claim that this in itself is encouraging staff to watch their weight. Unless you're hoping to appear in the calendar I doubt there's much correlation so I just consider it a way to plug the calendar in the press release.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 12:41
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

i would assume if the weight issue was of such an importance ryanair would consider this in their recruitment process,if,indeed they were allowed to do so from a discrimination point of view. i.e.,recruiting a naturally small,slim person as opposed to someone who is naturally bigger & broader.

does anyone know if there are figures relating to fuel saved on a flight that is carrying say 100kgs less?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Hi,

"does anyone know if there are figures relating to fuel saved on a flight that is carrying say 100kgs less?"

There is a savings, but it is very small.. what they look at is the aggregate.. just like the movement towards single engine taxi out, the use of GSE tow out and intra-ramp movements, and even the reduction on potable water carried.

On a per flight basis all these reductions are very small, but again, that "small" is magnified over 1,000 or more daily operations becomes a big number.

Carriers do a LOT of studies of this issue.. Most of the findings are of course business proprietary, but for those in the US and selected foreign locations who have/had access to the CNBC documentary titled "A Day In The Life of American Airlines" they discussed this issue rather directly and some of the strategies-- including the "remove the tomato' plan, over-fueling, cabin weight reduction (including the IFM)

And that process of looking for weight savings are not just limited to the cabin and things that might be more obvious.. Carriers are now buying and investing millions in the latest generation engine wash systems- which reduce burn by removal of small contaminants like dust, sand things that decrease not only operational efficiency, but also increase pollution discharge.

Thai has just bought such a system from GE:

geaviation.com/aboutgeae/presscenter/service…

Travel Safe,

Edited: 22 April 2012, 13:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

> annual swimsuit Callander<

Maybe it's just me, but I have no desire to see their staff in their swimwear. But then, i have no desire to fly with them either,

Maybe they want to look at one another in their swimwear, or maybe management want to look at them in their swimwear. God knows. But thought that went out with the eighties. Lol.

Seems to be all getting a tad intimate with Ryan air, go to the loo first, and if you would like a picture of our staff with their kits off, you can buy the calendar. Nice,

Edited: 22 April 2012, 14:22