We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair..reducing costs!

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair..reducing costs!

Always one to reduce costs, Ryanair are implementing cost saving initiatives. With the rising cost of fuel the airline has found ways of reducing the fuel bill by reducing the weight it carries on its flights. They will be shrinking the size of its in-flight magazines from A4 to A5 size, carrying less ice on flights and believe it or not, "encouraging" staff to watch their weight - with the motivation of appearing in the annual Ryanair calendar!

But Ryanair are only following in the foot steps of other airlines ... In the 1980's, American Airlines claimed that they saved $40,000 by taking out one olive from every salad in first class and more recently, Japanese airline All Nippon Airways started asking passengers to go to the toilet before boarding in a bid to reduce carbon emissions! Without fuel you cannot fly, but I think that's taking things a step too far !

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Why don't they just replace the toilet paper with inflight magazine pages - especially the ones where previous pax have already done the xword and sudoku - totally useless once that's done. They would reduce weight and discourage people from using the loos in one fell swoop.

One strategy I'm surprised Mr OL hasn't yet thought of is to sell tickets per passenger kg - the more you weight the more you pay ;-))

OK, enough silliness from me for one night......

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

haha funny!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

This thread is too funny, We even have a fight in the middle about the average size of a peice of paper Lol..what have you started Deano?

Dont quite know if any of this will be helpful for air travellers, but some of it has certainly given me a chuckle!!

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Have only traveled with Ryanair a few times but was under the impression and from memory that they dont have seat pockets, so where do these A4/5/6?? brochures go???

:-)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Family Parry .. they give then out and collect them on the flight, all considered that is using up valuable time

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

And wearing out the carpet.They should give you a link on the website so you print out your own inflight magazine copy along with your boarding pass.

They can then auction off the food ebay style,with a starting bid at the pricelist price,and go up from there.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Fine form for a Monday rapidex! :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

One strategy I'm surprised Mr OL hasn't yet thought of is to sell tickets per passenger kg - the more you weight the more you pay ;-))

=========

be surprised no more dailytelegraph.com.au/travel/news/airline-co…

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

"They should give you a link on the website so you print out your own inflight magazine copy"

You used to be able to read it online. I haven't checked lately to see if you still can.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Ryanair..reducing costs!

Stop folk carrying on extraneous boxes of chocs

No thick hard backed books either

Edited: 23 April 2012, 13:26