We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Scotland
Level Contributor
8 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

I'm trying to fly from Scotland (really not picky about the airport if it saves me some money) to Tokyo in September, and everytime I find a website that does a good deal, I check the reviews online. So far every single website has had maybe one good review, and a dozen bad with phrases like 'Swindlers', 'Scam Artists' and 'DO NOT USE!'

Is there any decent websites that people can recommend for finding and booking flights?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Try using the below site to check for prices then buy directly from the airline.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,328 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

If you can book an inexpensive flight from EDI or GLA to Helsinki, consider flying with Finnair. If you want to travel from London Heathrow then your choices will be BA, VS or JAL.

In short, book with the airline(s) rather than try to save £20 by using a third party website.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Book directly from the airline.

The online third party booking agents are (mostly) legit, but their customer service is usually "low cost" (and I don't mean low cost to you). If you go through a third party, they become the middleman that you have to deal with if you need to change your flight(s), or if the airline makes a schedule change. That's where most of the issues come from.

Going direct to the airline cuts out the middleman. Any changes, you can deal directly with them.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

DMon13

I've never had any problems with Expedia.co.uk and sometimes find BA flights there cheaper than on BA.com.

Regards

Edited: 23 April 2012, 21:51
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,615 posts
1,875 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Many third party booking sites aim to provide the lowest flight fare and its great when things go right. Customer service takes a bad seat and these third party sites make it clear no refunds, no changing of the schedule once you have booked.

If you look at this forum, a lot of customer's who go with Vayma, edreams etc should be booking direct with airlines as they are the type who mis-spell names, get the wrong dates, destination or just change their minds. Also if the airline make any changes they blame the third party site.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

There's no such thing as the "best online website".

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Most complaints of 3rd party booking sites are about customer service, rules, and the T&Cs of the booking. People don't read and understand what they are buying. Many people want to cancel or change something on a non-refundable ticket. They find out they cant or have to pay a large fee and then come here and complain.

If you do use a 3rd party site, at least use someone reputable like expedia. Do not use a site like cheapoair or a site you never heard of. Do not go searching the internet for the cheapest flight- you will be sorry.

For best results and peace of mind book direct with the airline.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 18:36
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Hi TravellerPlus

I see you suggested flying Finnair.

I am considering Finnair for return trip from Toronto to Delhi via Helsinki in early June. They seem to have great fares. Are they a good and reliable airline with comfortable seats as each leg of the journey will be about 8 hours.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

Most complaints of 3rd party booking sites are about customer service, rules, and the T&Cs of the booking.

==========

I would say thats true for some third parties, for others, such as CheapoAir and eDreams (not the only two) it seems to be much more fundamental deep rooted issues with what they book and how they book. Booking singles as returns, multiple charges on credit card, bait and switch, grossly misleading info, I could go on.

If either of those was offering the last flight out of Hell I'd still hesitate to book with them.

Monkey, I suggest you go to the airline quality website and see what people have to say about Finnair compared to other airlines (taking into account that most people only review bad experiences so you will always get a preponderance of those however good the airline)

10. Re: What's the Best Online Website for Flights/Deals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:43