We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

And while we all bemoan the woes of MIA ....

"Passengers returning to Heathrow faced delays of more than two hours last night as the Border Force once again to struggled to cope. This was the second night in succession that the airport descended into chaos because of a shortage of immigration staff.

Worst hit was Terminal 5, the £4.3 billion showcase and base for British Airways, but severe delays were also reported elsewhere at Heathrow."

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9231246/He…

Meanwhile - "Immigration officers to get new uniform - The UK Border Agency, whose decision to slash staff has led to huge immigration queues, has decided to issue staff with a new uniform which unions estimate will cost £2.5 million. "

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9227017/Im…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

You couldn't make it up :-(

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

Terrible.

But having just gone through Heathrow in a very short amount of time, and noticing the amount of flights delayed because of the weather around Europe (it was only mild Rain in London however) this was expected.

Terminal 5 however, is normally okay. One of the better terminals around the world.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

Terminal 5 however, is normally okay

======

I think that may be *was* normally OK. Judging from recent reports and the fact that people are being called to The House to explain whats happening, sounds like a severe cluster**** about to happen especially with the olympics almost upo

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

Yeah JOE, there was some recent controversies regarding immigration procedures wasn't there? Seems like a recipe for more bureaucracy coming up. I'd be shocked however, if they didn't spend ALOT around the Olympics to avoid lengthy ques, etc.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

I don't know if you can say T5 is normally ok. It depends on your time-of-arrival. I usually arrive very early in the morning either from Asia or the US. Queues can get quite long if the flight wasn't one of the earliest. Security queues are also quite badly handled at times as there simply isn't enough room for everyone.

England
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

I travelled through Heathrow last year and had no issues. I was through immigration in a matter of minutes. My bags were waiting when I got to the baggage claim too. No complaints.

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

"Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ..."

Not sure what all the fuss is about...... a two hour wait in a queue for non UK residents is no worse than many non US citizens get when flying into the US. Took us 2 hrs and 15 mins to get through LAX once.

Seems the press moan when checks are not completed properly, and the press moan when checks are completed properly, pretty much a lose lose situation.

Perhaps the Government should spend some of the £1bn they are planning to spend on the Olympics security in making sure that each Terminal has enough staff to cope with border control - instead of putting ground to air missiles on top of towerblocks for instance!

JB

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

I've been through Heathrow several times in the past few weeks and can attest that queues at passport control are much worse than I can recall over the past few years.

The UKBA head said on TV the other night that security must be maintained at a high level; however I've seen no increase in the amount of questioning or screening, only vacant kiosks at T3 and T5. Around 10 days ago I was in the queue for the non-EU passport holders at T5, and did a little back-of-the-hand calculations - around 400 people in the queue (maybe half that in the neighboring EU/UK passport holders' queue) and five, then four - immigration inspectors on the job. The EU/UK line had 3 inspectors. There were also four "pointers" as I call them - the workers telling you which kiosk to go to; I believe they are BAA employees, not UKBA.

The UKBA guy also said in the interview that if it takes three hours to clear immigration, "so be it." Talk about a welcome to the UK.

As it happened, in front of me in the queue was a woman who apparently works for the IOC, who was on her mobile phone with people in the local Olympics Organiz/sing Committee. The queue was making her late for a meeting to discuss border controls during the Olympics, now 80-something days off. She was not a happy person, and judging from what I could deduce, neither were the people she was standing up.

I was 90 min. in the line, more or less. My suitcase had been moved to a dark corner of the bag claim area, as the carousel was needed for the next flight(s).

Curiously, saying that other places are just as bad doesn't make me feel any better. On my recent trips I've gone through Schengen borders on numerous occasions, and the longest wait was, I believe, five minutes at Helsinki. Even Israeli immigration is faster. But of course the UK has to go its own way.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

ibgardylo. Some of those comments are either ignorant or just plain ridiculos. US Immigration for non us pasport holders is far more intrusive, rude and lenthy than anythingin the UK.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Airport descends into fresh immigration chaos ...

"But of course the UK has to go its own way".....what does it mean?