We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

Prescot, United...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

I am an infrequent flryer maybe six(return flight included) per year. Some short hsul to Europe from UK and some long haul to USA.

I have been prompet to write this by a previous post. Non of the symptoms she describes happens to me I am just parylised with fear from the minute we take off until the engines are turned off at our destination. Having said all of that I WILL NOT LET IT RUIN OUR HOLIDAYS AND WILL NEVER REFUSE TO GO ANYWHERE I FANCY IN THE WORLD!!

Well, whats your problem you may well ask?........

Its not a pleasant experience for me or my family or friends to walk around the airport with me , have a drink and a meal or sit

with me and they are too kind to not do this without me.

My question is not what I can do to help myself but what do you do if nervous (apart from prescripition drugs)??

I,m a confident person in life and this fear will not beat me !!!!

Please let me know what do you think about or not think about when a flight is necessary? Going to Las veas in June would appreciate it please!!!!

Thanks

Lynne

Prescot, United...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

Thanks all for your replies.

I realise its irrational, just dont know how to stop it.

Like I said it wont stop me going anywhere, my poor husband will have to put up with it!!!lol

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

There is one idea that works for some. Find a local flying school. They will often be prepared to give some basic training in the mechanics of flying, along with a flight to demonstrate these.

In my flying days, I often took visitors to my club for a trip round the local area, and to display functions of the controls. This enables the nervous flyer to appreciate what is going on, and they are absolutely surprised and amazed when you hand over control, and they realise that they are actually flying an aircraft.

Then, when they get into an airliner they can follow all the actions as they take place.

Works for some, several returned to take up flying!

(Beware though, it can be VERY addictive!)

Ivan

Ivan

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

there are flying anxiety therapies online:

www.fearofflying.com/…

this one has a UK number.

I used to have a much greater fear of flying than I do now, but I fly more now than I used to, so I guess it's a matter of familiarity.

Valiums really help for those times I still do have anxiety, our doctor knows my sitch and writes me a perscription when needed.

A chat with the doc might be helpful.

Hokitika, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

My wife has the same sort of issues with flying.We only fly once a year.!hr domestic then 4hr flight.

She,as soon as she can,gets straight into a movie or simalar,never looks away from it.(although have seen her take a sneak peek out window just after wheelsup!)even when given a cup of tea.I just plonk it in front of her.

On domestic flight wrecks quite a few tissues(twiddling)(no vids)before we get there.Does alot of foot tapping in terminal....while we wait!

But she gets by.She dose get annoyed we have to fy back home thou.

Cheers

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

Sorry to resurrect this but I was wondering if anyone had tried hypnotherapy successfully.

I had loved flying for 25 years & suddenly, after a flight to Singapore with a bad spell of turbulence 4 years ago, I have a terrible fear of flying. I have continued to fly, hiding my fear from hubby, who is a very nervous flyer. However, a month ago, we flew out to Spain for a hol & although the flight was very smooth, I all but had a panic attack at the thought of flying home & had to confess to hubby how I felt.

Consequently, we returned to the UK last week, at considerable expense, by train.....Fuengirola-Malaga, Malaga-Barcelona, Barcelona-Paris, Paris-London & London-Coventry......38 hours in total !!!

I dont think a fear of flying course is for me as I understand the principles involved in flying so its not a knowledge thing. I am not particularly afraid of heights either. I am not claustrophobic normally but that is the feeling I now get on a plane.

Just wondered if anyone had any success with hypno or any other type of therapy as I am determined to sort this out one way or another.

Thanks for any help you can give.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

Sorry to resurrect this but I was wondering if anyone had tried hypnotherapy successfully

---------

Yes. To be accurate it wasn't exactly hypnotherapy but relaxation techniques that were taught to someone I know. Worked like a dream. I sat in on one of the sessions, it was not quite hypnotherapy, I think it was caled cognitive behavioural treatment, and showed the person how to deal with anxiety and stress in sessions that verged upon but was not quite hypnosis.

From what you say i agree that would work better for you than fear of flying courses which from what I've read tend to be aimed at those with a more "rational" fear due to lack of knowledge, eg think doors might open or wings fall off etc, I think you are correct and need more of a relaxation type course.

Give it a go and good luck.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 20:56
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

Thanks for that Joe.

I am determined to sort this out as I am normally a confident, in control person & am quite frustrated by the hold this seems to have on me. I also have family in Malaysia that I used to visit regularly until this.

Do you know if these "therapies" are done privately or thru your GP/NHS ? I dont mind paying but if the NHS do it......?

My friend did joke that she was going to come with me so she could learn how to make me behave like a chicken when she clapped her hands......if it took my mind off flying, I would go for it but not sure how the other passengers would react !!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

This was done privately ITIK, not sure if its available on NHS.... OK I googled it and it appears to be nhs.uk/Conditions/…Introduction.aspx however whether its available for flying I dont know I suppose you could argue that if you fly as part of your job it should be supplied?

If you go to your doctor they cam probably recommend where to start even if its not available anyway.

If your friend got you to behave like an eagle that would be more useful than a chicken, you wouldn't need to pay an airline to get there :-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

"...normally a confident, in control person..."

This is the typical case for fear... it ends up being a control issue for many. You are there as a person completely out of control of the situation, and that spikes the fear and uncertainty. It is very hard to get over. I used to be much more stressed by flying than I am now. Part of the answer I came to at one point was, I could be scared silly and tense, or I could relax and go with the (sometimes bumpy) flow. It was my choice. *That* is where I found my control outlet. The one thing completely in my control was me and how I approached the situation.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: frightened of flying but it doesnt stop me - help needed tho

I was ok with flying til a very bad experience DFW-LGA in 2008. I was actually ok the rest of the year and into 2009 and then I got the "impending doom" feeling the minute there was any turbulence.

I HATE Takeoffs more than I can begin to express. No problems with landing, not even a couple of years ago approaching CUN when we were 200 feet from touchdown and the pilot suddenly pulled up and we had to circle (somehow I knew what happened - and I was right).....

Because of this "little" problem, I only took one RT (JFK-PHX) last year and 1 one-way (JFK-PHX when I moved to az. And I survived a nearly 6 hour flight thanks to meds, music, onboard TV screens and other techniques I have used. When flights are very smooth...I forget I'm flying...

(Just dont look out on the wing when flying at night - those who remember the Twilight Zone episode will understand this reference. I'm guessing most of you are too young to remember!

To the OP: If the problem is really bad, you should talk to your doctor. Read all you can on Fear of Flying (I have a F of F book on my IPOD.)