We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

Hey everyone, just looking for some input on something I'm seeing on Expedia and advice on my situation.

I'm looking at a flight from Canada to Morocco which involves two airlines, Air Canada from Canada to Heathrow, then BMI from Heathrow to Morocco both ways. The total price of this flight comes to about $1630 CAD. However, if i test booking two separate fiights, one from Canada to Heathrow on Air Canada, then another flight from Heathrow to Morocco (same dates and flights everywhere), the sum of the two flights added together actually only come out to about $1380, a $250 dollar difference! Mind you these prices are expedia prices; I would save the booking fees and get an even better deal booking through the airlines themselves.

Does this make any sense to any of you who look at flights a lot? Should I go ahead with the 2 separate bookings and pocket the savings or is there more than meets the eye? What problems could arrise if I do this, besides two whole checking-out/checking-in issues at Heathrow?

Thanks!

Bedford
Level Contributor
64 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

I would recommend giving yourself a min 10 hour window if transferring airports and 7 hr for internal Heathrow. Heathrow is one of (if not) the busiest airports in the world.

You may consider another option though. Find some insurance to cover a failed connection. Furthermore, if you pay by credit card, have a chat to them and see whether or not missed connection fees is part of the card benefits. Otherwise consider just making the last leg of the journy a flexi fare so you can catch the next plane. At the end of the day a lot of money can be saved but it is all about ground work.

southern england
Level Contributor
467 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

The last reply is interesting, surely you would have insurance for a trip of that length.So would a reasonable insurance policy cover for this eventuality , and if so , then the OP should book seperate tickets and try and save some money.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

Hi,

I agree #21 is interesting,.. and I think it all hinges on EXACTLY what does the insurance carrier call a "connection"... it would commonly include the classic connection-- that is single ticket naturally, but the $1000 question is does it or will it cover a TWO SEPARATE ticket travel?

I personally would wonder how many do (I'm sure some do) as it's possible for the insured to then buy tickets that are really unrealistic, then turn into to a potential claim.. I'd wonder how does the insurance carrier mitigate that or price it into their premiums.

Travel Safe,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

Insurance may cover incidentals like meals and accommodation but purchasing a replacement flight if you have missed your connection through no fault of the outgoing airline? Mine is a very reasonable travel insurance policy and doesn't! Of course, you can buy insurance for most anything - at a price! But I wouldn't have thought standard insurance covered you for the cost of purchasing a ticket on a missed flight. Others may prove me wrong, of course but I would have to be VERY certain if I was relying on travel insurance to cover everything in relation to a missed flight on separately booked tickets.

Bedford
Level Contributor
64 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

Interseting question I raised, when I travel on the low cost operstors I tend to turn up at the airport days in advance to ensure I don't miss the flight since the costs involved getting the next (if there is one of course) are huge. OK slight exageration, not days but hours. I've got a world wide annual mid range global insurance and always book with the cc as there are some purchase protection covers. Will be checking out the realy fine print now to see what the cover realy is and what proof is required if a claim can be made.

26. Re: Wanting Opinions - Two Separate flghts cheaper than one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:16