We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

Using the United Airlines web site, I booked flights using frequent flyer miles (Award Miles). I booked business class - or so I thought - on 6 sectors. The miles for business were deducted and my credit card charged for the relevant amount for business travel. The next day I received an email with the itinerary indicating economy on 4 of the 6 sectors. I called United reservations (why did I bother) and was told I could cancel if I paid for it. My argument this is misrepresentation on the part of United (especially since I can still book 'business' on the website) fell on deaf ears. Any suggestions on what I can do next? Or do I just wear it - realize airlines such as United hate to redeem frequent flyer miles.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

"realize airlines such as United hate to redeem frequent flyer miles"

that has not been my experience with united. in fact have found them one of the easist to use miles with, compared to singapore for instance.

but i would try calling again and getting to the bottom of it.

talk to a supervisor if necessary.

did u get a confirmation of your bc booking at the end of the transaction or a screen shot or was the emailed itinerary your only documentation?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

It's not because some of the flights are on aircraft with only economy class is it?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

>> that has not been my experience with united. in fact have found them one of the easist to use miles with, compared to singapore for instance <<

That's been my experience too Lien, but my experience was post 3/3 systems merger. The old United site wouldn't let you book business class with miles unless all segments were available (unless those segments only had one cabin such as a prop). I had to phone to book a mixed class itinerary. It's quite possible Shares (the Continental system now adopted as standard) could be doing the mirror image. It's booking system for (SWU) upgradeable flights is nowhere as clear as it used to be.

Taking miles for a business class ticket and only providing a third of the segments in C doesn't sound right. I'll do some research.

Jac, what was the itinerary that you booked?

Edit - OP2002, that's possible.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 05:07
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

I booked SYD-SIN-PEK with SQ, continuing to ULN with Air China. Outbound 13 Sep, return 27 Sep. I received a confirmation via email the next day - when I noticed it was economy. When I called UA reservations, I was told all of the supervisors were at lunch. I feel as if I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

OP - I looked up your routing and dates. I see that only a mixed award ticket is available:

SYD-SIN on SQ in economy

SIN-PEK on SQ in business

PEK-ULN on Air China in economy

Return routing is on the same airlines and the same cabin.

So, that would be two legs in business, and four in coach, which appears the same as you booked. It appears there are currently no saver business seats available for the legs you have in economy (and these can be difficult to find, especially on SQ).

I think you were correctly charged and probably did not notice the "mixed cabin" warning. Is that possible? I see there is saver economy available for only 30,000 miles for both your outbound and return. Maybe you should consider cancelling, if you can do so at no charge, and rebooking the economy seats.

I have never been told all the supervisors were "out to lunch"! Wonder what call center you got?

Edited: 28 April 2012, 16:46
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

Thanks for the info. I now understand what Mixed Cabin means - not anything close to what the UA res woman told me before I booked the flights. I called res again, was told the supervisors had all gone home. I give up. In Australia the UA res call center is in the Philippines, so I've been told, and it's not one to give correct information. I will just cancel , pay the penalty, and chalk it up to experience. I've decided to pay the fare and fly CX as it is.

I thank everyone who helped me out. It's my first posting to Trip Advisor and I am more than impressed.

7. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 18:35
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

Miriahm you've asked this three times already. It means what it says. You are not traveling in the same class of service for each leg of the trip. Your reservation should clearly show what class you are in, or if you are simply doing a dummy booking right now, you can click on "Mixed cabin" and it will show you what cabin you'll be in. You don't need Alex for this simple question.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

I booked business class with miles to LHR last summer (flying in April) - the choice I picked clearly stated "mixed cabin" for one of the legs over. That didn't bother us, as the first leg was less than 3 hours - but noticed as the year progressed that the aircraft changed and business class appeared - but we weren't booked in it.

Called United...and voila - the agent changed the booking and all legs of our journey are now in business.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines Awasrd miles redemption

>>realize airlines such as United hate to redeem frequent flyer miles"

that has not been my experience with united. in fact have found them one of the easist to use miles with, compared to singapore for instance.<<

That has been my experience too-we fly United to Hawaii in Jan/Feb. on frequent flyer miles every year. We returned early Feb.2012, and are all booked for Jan.2014!.