We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

customs

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
customs

If I purchase knives in Thailand, would I have a problem getting them out of that country and in to Australia. By the way 'm a chef not a murderer

Thank you

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: customs

Hi,

Thai Customs does have rules about weapons export, but overall does not get into the minutia of what is or is not a weapon.. Naturally some are pretty clear-- guns.. but many others can be a bit of a toss-up..

I would say that unless the knives are not of a principally kitchen/domestic use, then there should be no issues.

One note.. To be safe, I WOULD advise your airline, at the time you tender your baggage that you have knives inside.. let them know what they are- size, etc.. In some cases airlines do require that you disclose that you have weapons or other "dangerous" goods even if in your checked baggage.

Overall, unless the knives are of weapons 'use' you should have no issues on the customs EXPORT side..

Of course, your bigger issue is/will be on the IMPORT side.. for that, you should contact your national customs agency for guidelines.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 01 May 2012, 04:12
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: customs

Thank you. shall do that now

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: customs

While I don't think that importing kitchen knives will be a huge problem as long as you declare them as 'tools of trade' and you can prove you are a chef etc etc etc.......my concern would be more about theft.

I'm assuming they are very expensive Japanese or German kitchen knives? I'd be more worried about having them pilfered from your luggage somewhere between Thailand and Melbourne.

I'm not even sure how you could prevent that happening. Sending them back to Australia by mail or through a delivery service may be the way to go. You can order knives online so shipping shouldn't be a problem.

4. Re: customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:16