We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

We flew Air France recently (our 2nd trip with them and our last) from Boston to Warsaw. At Charles deGaulle AP, we had to make a connection to another flight to Warsaw. We missed that flight! We had to clear immigration and go through security afterwhich we headed to the gate to find the flight had left 10 minutes early because passengers were loaded on buses. I have never heard of clearing immigration and security on connecting international flights - is this a new rule?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

France and Poland are both parties to the Schengen Treaty, which abolishes passport controls between member countries. The flight from Paris to Warsaw is therefore regarded as a domestic flight.

People entering the Schengen area go through Immigration at their first port of entry to the area. That has been the rule since the Schengen Treaty came into existence.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

I have never heard of clearing immigration and security on connecting international flights - is this a new rule?

======

No, because the USA has been imposing this needlessly on millions of travellers back as far as I can recall.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

That happened when we had to land at CDG from Boston and take a connecting flight to Dublin, to say the least I missed my connecting flight and had to wait five hours for the next one.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

Recommended connection times through CDG are a topic often discussed here on TA. Too bad you didn't check here first.

And as joe points out, we from the US can't complain because unless you've flown from one of the pre-clearance airports, everyone arriving internationally has to pass through immigration and customs and then reclear security for their next flight.

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

I might be mistaken, but at Amsterdam Schipol i don't believe you clear immigration if you are on a connecting flight. The only time you go through immigration is if you leave the airport.

Am i rite?

uk
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

No, you're wrong again Shabnam.

If you connect into another Schengen country through AMS you complete immigration there.

There is no immigration if you're connecting into a non-Schengen country, just as with the UK.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,379 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

Shabnam arent we talking about CDG here?

I have never had to clear immigration when connecting at CDG but it depends on where you are flying in from and to according to this thread?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

Thank you for your comments. The Air France representative made it seem like it was our fault that we missed the connection because, as she stated, people do make that connection all the time and we should have made it. I thought it was cause we are an older couple who walks more slowly than some young folks (and because our 747 was deplaned into a serious of buses). At least, now we know. Thanks again.

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

I've connected through Schipol before, from Bangkok and the states and didn't clear immigration. I'll check up on it.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting Flights through Charles De Gaulle

Correct because they are all non-shengen countries. Re the Warsaw trip, you should have realised that that you didn't have to clear immigration, because you'd entered the EU (shengen zone) in CDG