We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

Hey all,

Travelling YUL-MIA in a few days and AA.com asks for lots of information (passport number, among others). I'm not too keen on giving this online and was wondering how mandatory this is (I honestly don't know how "sensitive" a passport number is...).

I'm guessing this is for online check-in? And if I opt for checking-in at the counter, then no need for that info over the net? On the other hand : I never checked-in online, but can I still do it without entering that info online?

Please advise!

Aero.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 04:37
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,715 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

It's just information that travellers from the UK also have to provide when travelling to the US and also several other European countries require it too - API (Advanced Passenger Information). I've given it numerous times and so have countless other passengers.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

Have booked on AA site numerous times for flights to Europe, and no problems whatsoever. Site is secure, so it is safer than most sites online.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

So do I HAVE to fill this information online? Nothing says it's obligatory...

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

The info you give at the counter is going into the same system as what you punch in at home. Billions of persons are entering the same information every year as what AA has requested from you.

Enter your info and fear not...it won't do you any good to worry, especially if you want to get a ticket across international borders.

after edit: How did you deal with this perceived problem on your earlier travels ?

Edited: 07 May 2012, 05:11
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

Well yes, whether you enter it or the check in person enters it, it's all going into the same system.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

>> So do I HAVE to fill this information online? Nothing says it's obligatory... <<

Well if it's not obligatory then don't do it if you're not comfortable.

Note that you will need to supply this info at check in, and if you do OLCI you'll have to enter it online anyway.

What AA (and UA and probably many others) is doing is give you the opportunity to enter the data ahead of time so you don't need to faff around later. I only recently added the info on united.com, not because I had to, but to demonstrate to someone on here that it could be done.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

"How did you deal with this perceived problem on your earlier travels "

Never had to.. this is the first time an airline asks ME this. That's why I'm asking.

This would also be my first OLCI : I'm guessing they verify all the info at luggage check-in?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

If you don't supply the API (advanced passenger information) before OLCI you will have to do so at or before you complete the check in process.

As others have said, it's information that's required by a number of airlines, so best to give it in advance and save the aggro of having to do so at the check in desk.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

Hi,

Just to expand and clarify,, "... it's information that's required by a number of airlines,.."

It IS required for ALL carriers-- US or foreign-- when operating onto ANY US point (to include possessions and territories) and such is codified under Federal Law 19 CFR 122.22

Thus the requirement really is from the Federal government and is not a carriers discretion.

Travel Safe,

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AA.com requires sensitive information : is it safe?

As mentioned it is going into the same database, so it really does not matter where it gets entered or by whom. One thing to keep in mind is don't fill in sensitive information over open wifi connections and non-encrypted browers sessions - there it is possible to intercept your communications and harvest bank account numbers, etc. At home with a properly secured network you are fine. At Starbucks with an open network there is a very slight risk of data theft.